Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

? about Zev Magwells

G17

I'm looking for some feedback from ya'll. I like Zev's magwells and am about to order one. I didn't realise they have so many options. Theres like 10 different combo's of weight's you can make between the magwells and inserts ranging from 2.5 to 7.9 ounces. My issue is that i'v never used a magwell on a pistol and i'm not really sure what weight to go with. I know i want some weight to it, i'm just not so sure 8 ounces is a good idea. It will be going on a gen 4 glock 17.

I just wanted to see which weights any of you have tried and have been happy with. I figured i'd post here before i drop 100 bucks on a guess. Thanks

I had never used a magwell on any pistol before and purchased a ZEV for a Glock Gen3 G34. The model I chose was the small aluminum one with the black crinkle powder coat finish. Part No. is ZT-MAGWELL-SM-BLK-LT. It fits well within your budget, including shipping.

I couldn't be happier with it. It does not create a greatly different weight distribution, but adds just a bit of weight, the appearance is excellent, and it really serves its purpose of helping with fast mag changes.

YMMV.

Zev (glockworx) makes a good magwell (pretty too). The question is which kind of games are you gonna be playing? USPSA Limited-Limited 10, IDPA ESP? Just be aware of the rules in each on weight limits, division restrictions, ect. The extra weight will help soften the recoil...in a big way the heavier you go, and like 45 Raven said, will help you speed up your reloads.

Zev (glockworx) makes a good magwell (pretty too). The question is which kind of games are you gonna be playing? USPSA Limited-Limited 10, IDPA ESP? Just be aware of the rules in each on weight limits, division restrictions, ect. The extra weight will help soften the recoil...in a big way the heavier you go, and like 45 Raven said, will help you speed up your reloads.

It's for uspsa open.

I REALLY wish they'd make one for the gen4 with backstraps!

I know. I was thinking about getting one of Dawsons for the backstrap but i noticed how light it is. I figured if i was going to get one i might as well try a. little bit of weight. I was looking at the frame, i don't think it would be too hard to modifty the back strap to fit with Zev's magwell.

8 ounces is WILDLY heavy. I would strongly recommend something more moderate. My Dawson ICE Gen 4 Magwell is like 2.something ounces. It is very light, too light, but it makes the gun fast to manuever.

I just ordered Dawson's Super Heavy Magwell, which is 6.7 ounces I believe. That will balance the gun and help with recoil and splits, I think, but will make tracking and precise movememts more difficult. This is all my very limited experience. I would probably go between 3-7 ounces. And add a tungsten guide rod if I needed some supplementation.

It's for uspsa open.

I REALLY wish they'd make one for the gen4 with backstraps!

I know. I was thinking about getting one of Dawsons for the backstrap but i noticed how light it is. I figured if i was going to get one i might as well try a. little bit of weight. I was looking at the frame, i don't think it would be too hard to modifty the back strap to fit with Zev's magwell.

I have one of the Dawson for the Gen4 with the medium backstrap. It is definitely like, but I can handle and manipulate it very, very quickly.

I would say that my ability to handle the gun quckly mitigates the time it takes for follow-up shots. There is something to be said for a light gun, but there is also something to be said for a heavy one; I guess that is why I have both.

I'm not sure why the Gen4 is seeming to give manufacturers fits. Zev doesn't make a weighted model for the Gen4 with a backstrap. Robin Taylor of Taylor Freelance just told me that is might be months before he can successfully put out a Gen4 Seattle Slug. And Dawson has no heavy magwell for Gen4 at all.

I am at point where I am trying to decide between Dawson ICE Gen4 for a medium backstrap (almost no added weight) and a Zev heavy magwell for a Gen4 without a backstrap. But I prefer the medium backstrap on my G35.

More weight and less grip comfort

or

less weight and more grip comfort?

Why can't we have both?!?!?

I'm not sure why the Gen4 is seeming to give manufacturers fits.

I know exactly what you mean. My biggest frustration is trying to find a stainless steel slide for a Gen 4. Good Lord someone make one!

I ended up ordering the brass magwell with brass insert, I just really want to see what it feels like, and if i decide it needs to lose some weight i can can always order the lightest insert. I'm excited though, i think it will be nice.

Which brass magwell did you choose? Do you use a backstrap?

From the three drop down boxes i chose, for the Gen 4, large brass insert, and brass magwell. Yes i'v recently been useing the medium backstrap. I am going to modify it to work the the magwell. It should just be a matter of cutting a little of the bottom off. The back strap is still held in place by the clip up top and the pin. If it doesn't work then i'll just go without the backstrap.