Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talk me out of a DMR barrel for my AR (or into it)

Tuflehundon

I have an AR that I built for 3gun and Defensive Carbine Club style shooting. I bought the upper used, as it had most of what I wanted, had a really low round count, and was priced right. I built the lower to my spec. Upper came with a 20" CHF FN government profile barrel. That was the only thing it didn't have that I wanted.

I was planning to build it with a heavy fluted stainless barrel. Defensive Carbine Club matches have ranges within 200 meters, as do most of the 3gun, and USPSA action rifle matches I go to. So I know the barrel I have will be fine for those matches. But there are matches that I want to start going to that have a stage or 2 with ranges out to 500 - 600 meters.

That has me thinking about getting a heavy stainless barrel. I found this one from White Oak Armament:

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17565&cat=250&page=2

Just to get it out of the way, I only want a 20" barrel. The Marine in me wants the longer barrel. I may also in the future do some long range matches with it so the 20" is the best fit for what I want to do with it.

I will also add that the DMR barrel and my current barrel weigh about the same amount due to the fluting. So weight isn't really an issue.

Edited by Tuflehundon

Probably not a bad barrel, and you will get many recommendations here but, in my opinion, the best barrel for what you want to do is the JP Medium weight 20" barrel. It's a little more expensive, but includes a JP enhanced bolt that is headspaced to the barrel.

http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSM223-20M8

Doug

That's the exact bbl I use (1/7 twist). I love it. Shoots very accurate. I also have a rifle with an 18" and one with a 16", and 20" DMR is my favorite all around bbl for 3-gun. If I could only have one, that would be it.

Most any barrel will do out to 400+ yards, including my stock Bushmaster.

That said, my 2 JP 18 medium profile barrels rocks to 600 meters -no sweat and I am not a rifleman.

A 20 inch heavy contour is going to weigh a 1000 lbs in a long match like RM3G. Call Taran Bulter and ask him about his lightweight rifles.

Getting a 1/7-1/8 twist will handle the heavier bullets. A 1/7 might be a little too much for <45gr bullets.

Most any barrel will do out to 400+ yards, including my stock Bushmaster.

That said, my 2 JP 18 medium profile barrels rocks to 600 meters -no sweat and I am not a rifleman.

A 20 inch heavy contour is going to weigh a 1000 lbs in a long match like RM3G. Call Taran Bulter and ask him about his lightweight rifles.

Getting a 1/7-1/8 twist will handle the heavier bullets. A 1/7 might be a little too much for <45gr bullets.

The DMR barrel weights about the same as the Government profile barrel I have now due to the fluting. It's within 1oz. So weight wouldn't be an issue.

White Oak offers that barrel in 1/7 & 1/8, The 1/8 costs more. I am using 55gr bullets right now, because that's what I could find. I am planning to build a load for it using mid 60's gr bullet, depending on what works best. The barrel I have now is a 1/7 twist rate.