Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B jams with Speer brass?

Okay gang. Thanks for sticking with me this week. Company sent me home early to stay ahead of the weather so I got to the bench and started measuring everything. Carbide insert was good. Pulled a couple Speer headstamps and measured them, pre sizing. All within a thousandth or two of any other headstamp. Aguila, Winchester, Blazer. All the same. So I put those Speer into the reloader, no problems at all. Sat down and reloading 50 real quick, not a single jam. One missed primer and one upside down.

So now I'm really stumped. It seems to be working but I have no idea why they jammed in the first place. I measured the brass that got jammed and other than the bases being torn up they are perfectly sized. Even measured wall thickness of the shells, all the same.

I'll get back out there tomorrow and try and crank out a few hundred and report back. Fingers crossed.

One more thought. If the carbide insert was a little loose, it may have caused some binding and grabbed the case. The fact that it was a speer may have been coincidence. Also check the insert for any cracks.

Edited by Youngeyes