Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How clean are "coated bullets"?

blopez50

I have shot 300 rds of the 180 coated bullets from SNS using both WST and TG. The first 100 rds of the coated bullets with TG I shot and compaired to PD FMj's with TG. I didn't notice any leading but I shot the FMJ's after I shot the first 100rds of the coated SNS bullets.

I cleaned the barrel before I tested 100rds of the coated 180's with WST and 100rds with TG. In the video below the first 8 shots are with 4.6gr of WST and the second 8 shots are with 4.2gr of TG. OAL of 1.180 and a .421 crimp. I must be doing something wrong or the TG with these bullets is causing the leading in my barrel after 200rds I ran a brush through the barrel and metallic flakes were coming out, it was a PITA to get the barrel clean! I pulled a bullet to make sure I wasn't over crimping there was a very faint line that you could not feel with your finger nail and no coating was scraped off and no coating was being scraped off during the seating process. I like the bullets and they are accurate but the lead in the barrel I don't like. I normally shoot FMJ's and the barrel doesn't have any leading at all and is cleaner than the coated.. So reading some of these posts about coated bullets being as clean as jacketed I must be doing something wrong.

Either I am doing something wrong or the TG is causing the leading problem or the SNS bullets being sized to .401 are a little oversized for my barrel? Any tips??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH9M5odYKJ0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUTrmNkMkQK0_ON0neCgULdg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tested some SNS coated bullets using WST only. Shot less than 100 rounds the barrel was cleaned before testing. The last 10 rounds the group started to open up. Could have been me....... But ran a dry patch down the barrel one pass and this is what came out

Still having leading issues with the coated bullets from SNS. Getting ready to try another bullet.

post-226-0-51309400-1386179737_thumb.jpg

Hi Bruce,

I've been Bayou with 231 and Wst all season. In fact thats what I shot during your class. Withclose to 30,000 rounds I've seen no leading. Let me know if you want to try some and I'll meet you.

Bruce are you sure that's lead and not the moly coating you are seeing on the patch? I ask since you said it was hard to clean. BBI recommends using Methyl Ethyl Ketone to get moly out of the barrel.

Theses are not BBI's they are SNS and yes it is lead look at 12 and 6 o clock those are lead pieces on the patch. By the way BBI is using the same coating as Bayou and SNS. I have some BBI's qued up for chronoing see how they do.

I tried some BBI's that are sized to .400 I was still getting lead but less than with the SNS .401 bullet. I have an STI barrel the bullet when feeding in the chamber the head space ring appears to be scrapping some of the coating off the bullet at around 11o' clock in the chamber. Going to throat ream the chamber and test again.

• 3 weeks later...

Well here is my barrel after 150 rds of the SNS coated bullets. I have throat reamed the barrel checked the bell,crimp still getting leading.

Not blaming the bullets at this point beginning to think its this barrel. I have a few more things to try out before I determine if it's the bullets or barrel.

post-226-0-98102000-1388555529_thumb.jpg

post-226-0-17626100-1388555580_thumb.jpg this is after a few passes with a brush

post-226-0-66008700-1388555700_thumb.jpg barrel after a few passes with brush

Well here is my barrel after 150 rds of the SNS coated bullets. I have throat reamed the barrel checked the bell,crimp still getting leading.

Not blaming the bullets at this point beginning to think its this barrel. I have a few more things to try out before I determine if it's the bullets or barrel.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg this is after a few passes with a brush

attachicon.gifimage.jpg barrel after a few passes with brush

That was was my factory Glock barrel looked like after my tests with WST. I bought a Lone Wolff barrel to see if it's any better but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet....

Precision Bullets says this on the website:

Not Recommended Powders
Hodgdon – Titegroup

That may be causing some of the problems too. I have been using Precision, Bear Creek and Bayou for several years with 231 and have had no issues other than some smoke. No leading issues of any kind.

Chris