Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How clean are "coated bullets"?

blopez50

I use ibejiheads bullets with titegroup. First time I shot then with titegroup, I expected them to be smokey and a mess. But there was no smoke and the gun was very clean, actually it was so clean I thought I had already cleaned it.

They are also very accurate.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to www.ibejiheads.com, it sounds like they don't use the Bayou Bullet coating.

IMO, they need to work on their pricing. I checked the price on their 200 gr. SWC, the 1,000 pack is actually less expensive per bullet, than the 2,000 pack. Not much, but a little.

Would WSF fall in that group?

I believe so. It is listed on winchester's primarily as a shotgun powder. I do not have any first hand experience with it, but a buddy of mine loads with it and uses bayou's and he seems very happy with the combination. Does your slide feel scolding hot after a high round count stage? Tight group used to burn me when showing clear, now with WST I don't notice any real heat at all.

Update: After some brief searching on the web, people do seem to be saying is burns a lot cooler than TG or even W231, so I would say you should be good to go.

Come on guys! There is a lot more to choosing a powder than how cool it burns. That is not a part of load development that I am aware of. Yes, TG is a smoker but it is also a recognized safe powder that has been tried and proven. WST is used by some with success but it is definitely not a "first choice" powder for 9mm, especially with lighter bullets.

I'm not saying that is the sole reason for my powder decision by any means. I have gone through load testing and have ended up loading up WST because it meets all the criteria that matered to me. I was simply confirming for the op that WSF (and WST) weren't going to cause a choo-choo effect like TG can do with many bullet combinations...

. Loading real hot powders like titegroup may cause problems with melting the coating.

In my tests with the J&M coating the bullet is completely molten and the coating becomes nothing more than a bag of molten lead before it runs out. The blob on the right was an uncoated bullet, heated the bottom of the plate they were on with a torch until the uncoated bullet began to melt. If my method coated better inside the grease ring I bet it wouldn't have leaked out where it did.

post-6631-0-37030500-1366490075.jpg

post-6631-0-86405700-1366490089.jpg

I use Bear Creek Bullets. My bore stays clean with just an occasional pass with the snake.

Edited to add: My fingers get filthy when I'm reloading. If you don't have a bullet feeder you might wear a glove.

Edited by sroe3

www.ibejiheads.com

They have been sponsoring stages at Area matches too. good company

Do those have the same coating as bayou and sns?

I don't know, I have shoot Bayou and they are good, but smell like burnt clutch

hahaha... smells like burnt electrical tape.... but donnie's bullet are good too...

I am going to recommend my friends at thebluebullets.com. They are a new company on the market and run by two USPSA shooters. Little smoke, no mess and if you can load long, major with Clays is no problem in .40 and is very soft shooting.

I am going to recommend my friends at thebluebullets.com. They are a new company on the market and run by two USPSA shooters. Little smoke, no mess and if you can load long, major with Clays is no problem in .40 and is very soft shooting.

Is this another bullet maker using the coating popularized by Bayou? They're not really clear about it on their web site.

. Loading real hot powders like titegroup may cause problems with melting the coating.

In my tests with the J&M coating the bullet is completely molten and the coating becomes nothing more than a bag of molten lead before it runs out. The blob on the right was an uncoated bullet, heated the bottom of the plate they were on with a torch until the uncoated bullet began to melt. If my method coated better inside the grease ring I bet it wouldn't have leaked out where it did.

A hot plate is a much slower heat than a charge of smokeless powder being lit.

A hot plate is a much slower heat than a charge of smokeless powder being lit.

Indeed, but if the above shows that the lead will melt first, and lead bullets don't melt when shot using smokeless powder, then it isn't too likely the coating will melt either.

i have been using moly coated bullets for years now but i think i will be switching to ibejiheads. ibejiheads is much more cleaner when reloading and i dont see smokes and after almost 300rnds today i dont see signs of leading in my barrel it seems like its been cleaned...

I have tried Black Bullets International, Bayou, and S&S. All are good bullets. I really liked the Bayou and the S&S. Donnie at S&S is a super nice guy, but then so are Jim and Ryan at S&S. The Bayou and the S&S .45acp bullets both shot accurately and very clean in my 1911's with WST, Clays, and N320. I currently use the S&S 200gr SWC, which is super accurate with all three powders. I don't know if they use the same coating or not because the Bayou used to leave a green gunky film in my seating and crimping dies I was constantly having to clean out. The S&S bullets do not leave a film in those dies.