Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How clean are "coated bullets"?

blopez50

My bullet stash is dwindling and it's almost time for me to order another batch. I've been shooting precision delta fmjs and have been happy with the performance.

It looks like there's pretty substial savings to be had by going to coated lead bullets. I'm just wondering about the mess. Before PD, I shot cast bullets from Missouri Bullet Co. I liked the price and the way they shot but I hated the nasty mess that they left inside my pistols...

Will these coated bullets be messy?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand, the ones I'm looking at are some sort of "polymer blend" and not moly if that makes a difference at all.

I just can't decide of the savings is worth it. $150 savings per 2500 bullets is pretty big with my budget.

What brand are they? I am going to load up some Production rounds to have on hand to play with occasionally and am thinking of trying the new SNS offerings. But I had good results with Precision Moly out of Texas. They are cheap too.

Edited by Sarge

Shooting Bayou Bullets 200 gr. SWC bullets in my G21, @ a PF of 170, after 1,000 rds they are just as clean as when I use MG FMJ. IMHO, these are the best bullets available, especially when you consider the price of .10¢ each.

From what I understand, the ones I'm looking at are some sort of "polymer blend" and not moly if that makes a difference at all.

It does, a lead slug coated with just powderd "moly" will leave a hell of a mess behind. The coated bullets that I have used are not moly coated and the MSDS I have for one of the coatings shows that contains less than 2% molybdenum.

So when folks say "moly" bullet more often than not they mean coated.

Kink of like the guys that call magazines, clips.

Black Bullets International uses the same coating material as Bayou & SNS now. The coating is made by J&M Speciality Products from Australia. It is a catalyzed polymer with lubricant that is baked onto the bullet. Our internal testing has yielded some good results but then again I am probably biased. The manufacturers above are all good people making quality products for the shooting industry and you can't go wrong choosing any of them.<br /><br />Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk<br /><br />

The only thing that is not 100% positive about the bayou's I have been running is the smell. They are accurate, clean, and inexpensive. They just smell like burnt electrical wire when you shoot them. That won't stop me from using them.

You will be happy with your purchase. I have been using Bayou bullets in 40 and 9 for a while now and they load and shoot great, cleaning doesn't seem to be any more of a chore than with plated or JHP/CMJ. The one thing that was said is powder is important. Loading real hot powders like titegroup may cause problems with melting the coating. I use the cooler fast powders, WST specifically, it is intended for shotgun use, so it is designed not to burn/melt the plastic wad. I think the same idea apply for other shotgun gone pistol powders, solo 1000, ramshot competition...etc.

Would WSF fall in that group?

I believe so. It is listed on winchester's primarily as a shotgun powder. I do not have any first hand experience with it, but a buddy of mine loads with it and uses bayou's and he seems very happy with the combination. Does your slide feel scolding hot after a high round count stage? Tight group used to burn me when showing clear, now with WST I don't notice any real heat at all.

Update: After some brief searching on the web, people do seem to be saying is burns a lot cooler than TG or even W231, so I would say you should be good to go.

Edited by EngineerEli

Thanks for the info! I'm actually not loading WSF yet. Currently I'm using WST with FMJs (in 9mm production) and have been really pleased. I asked about WSF because I'm in the process of stepping up to limited 40 in a g35 and have read that WSF might be a little safer powder choice.

Would WSF fall in that group?

I believe so. It is listed on winchester's primarily as a shotgun powder. I do not have any first hand experience with it, but a buddy of mine loads with it and uses bayou's and he seems very happy with the combination. Does your slide feel scolding hot after a high round count stage? Tight group used to burn me when showing clear, now with WST I don't notice any real heat at all.

Update: After some brief searching on the web, people do seem to be saying is burns a lot cooler than TG or even W231, so I would say you should be good to go.

Come on guys! There is a lot more to choosing a powder than how cool it burns. That is not a part of load development that I am aware of. Yes, TG is a smoker but it is also a recognized safe powder that has been tried and proven. WST is used by some with success but it is definitely not a "first choice" powder for 9mm, especially with lighter bullets.