Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 & Posness Warren autodrive

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the process of developing my own auto-drive now. Considering whether or not to make them on a production basis.

I've been processing brass, simply decapping/resizing, at the rate of about 2700/hr on my 650XL.

Edited by Brassaholic13

I checked out a PW drive for the 1050 before deciding to go with a Forcht rotary drive on the 1050. I know a 650 to 1050 isnt and apples to apples comparison, but the PW is basically the same between the two. It just looked like a disaster waiting to happen compared to the smooth operation of the Forcht unit. I also read a lot of things about the arms snapping and that getting all the various adjustments set just right.

Also how does the PW do primer seating on the 650? Is it capable of doing the "push" to seat the primer?

I checked out a PW drive for the 1050 before deciding to go with a Forcht rotary drive on the 1050. I know a 650 to 1050 isnt and apples to apples comparison, but the PW is basically the same between the two. It just looked like a disaster waiting to happen compared to the smooth operation of the Forcht unit. I also read a lot of things about the arms snapping and that getting all the various adjustments set just right.

Also how does the PW do primer seating on the 650? Is it capable of doing the "push" to seat the primer?

Not sure on the PW, but on mine, the stroke is fully adjustable, and won't move when it's locked in. Once the stroke is set, you then set the range of the stroke. The primer insertion can be controlled down to the thousandth of an inch. The design is similar to the PW. Version 2 is already in the works, and utilizes a crankshaft drive as opposed to the pillow block lever system.

• 3 weeks later...

I had Forcht develop the rotary drive because of all the problems with the PW unit on a 1050. I would not use one on the 1050 and I sure as hell would not use one on the 650 just for the reason that jmorris stated.....My .02 after using the equipment......

DougC