Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Lead 175 Gr TCBB

Ewilson224

Guys,

I am starting to load a 175 gr Lead TCBB bullet. I have been reloading for several years now using mostly Winchester Super Field for my 45 loads. I am having a hard time finding load data for this particular bullet. I did see on here where some people are using 6.0 grains of WSF. That seems way too hot. I maybe wrong, but it just seems that is on the high end. I use 6.2 grains right now for my 200 gr LSWC in 45 and I am around 850 fps.

I need a major load for USPSA limited and also a minor load for production in USPSA and ESP/SSP for IDPA. Does anyone have any experience with either or both for major and minor for this bullet.

I appreciate the help in advance. Thanks guys,

EW

Edited by Ewilson224

Published data with WSF and an XTP is 5.8gr max for a bit over 1,000fps and very close to SAAMI MAP pressure. I've loaded the 175/180gr cast TC bullet quite a bit in .40 and 10mm (latter my favorite). My load for the .40 is 5.7gr WSF at 1.125 OAL for 960fps in a Commander 1911. I used to cast it using the Lee mold, but have just become too busy and I use Missouri Bullet's 180gr TC currently.

6.0gr WSF with a cast 175/180gr is my 10mm load. I would not load that in .40 at the 1.125 OAL, maybe the longer 1.180 for the 1911/2011s.

Sorry I can't help out with a minor load. I've never loaded .40 Minor. I like Winchester powder and with that in mind, the next fastest powder in that line would be WST and I think it would serve you well for a Minor load.

--------

Since you mentioned .45, I use 6.0gr WSF with a 200gr LSWC (1.250), 230gr TC (1.185), and 230gr plated (1.250). The heavies are around 850 and the SWC is a bit slower.

Mine's not with WSF, but its faster brother, WST.

4.8 grains at 1.16" makes major easily in my 5" M&P, doesn't melt bullet bases like Titegroup and has little muzzle flip/flash/blast.

I cast and shoot buckets of 'em.

Mark

Edited by redial

Guys,

I really appreciate the input. Freakshow, that is some awesome information there I have been looking for a while and could never find it. I have thought about dialing back my 200 gr. LWSC to 6.0 or 6.1, because I am a little on the hot side of the power factor. Right now I have WAY more than enough cushion in case I get chrono'ed. So I will give that 6.0 a try and see how that runs. Thanks again for the post!

EW

Guys,

I really appreciate the input. Freakshow, that is some awesome information there I have been looking for a while and could never find it. I have thought about dialing back my 200 gr. LWSC to 6.0 or 6.1, because I am a little on the hot side of the power factor. Right now I have WAY more than enough cushion in case I get chrono'ed. So I will give that 6.0 a try and see how that runs. Thanks again for the post!

EW

Try it. I used the 6.0gr WSF load with the 230gr bullets and decided to cast and load some 200gr LSWCs and try it over that same load. I was impressed with the holes in the target so I never bothered to work the load up. In fact, the 8 years I've been a handloader, I've never loaded the 200gr LSWC .45 ACP with any other load than 6.0gr WSF.

Freakshow, do you think that load for the 175 fr 40 would change much in a glock?I have a Storm Lake barrel in it for my G-35. I know the Glock's like their ammo just a tick longer than their counterparts.

Know for a fact it won't. That .40 load is what I use with cast and plated for both retail customers and LE agencies that I reload training ammo for. I've never had negative feedback about the OAL with regard to function in a Glock. I always advise to load to the longest OAL that feeds from the magazine, but I am a commercial reloader making ammo for many guns. I pick one OAL that will feed in anything and function in anything. 9mm and .40 get loaded to 1.125" OAL unless it's my custom 9mm Major or .40 Long.

Thank you Freakshow. I appreciate the response. It looks like I will be using that load to get started. Biloxi is loading about the same thing with just a fraction longer. Thanks again! i knew I would be able to find an answer on Enos. It seems like this is about the best place to find reliable info. Be safe guys.

EW