Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choosing a open comp - again!

DrLove

Is there anything that will work as well as the tank brake but is not quite so ugly?

No offence intended but it just don't look right on a nice sleek AR.

Bill

They say this is:

JP Large-Profile Tactical Compensator

Is there anything that will work as well as the tank brake but is not quite so ugly?

No offence intended but it just don't look right on a nice sleek AR.

Bill

They say this is:

JP Large-Profile Tactical Compensator

Would definitely like to hear some actual user feedback on this one. I've been eying it as something to try on a couple of matches next season, at the very least. I could migrate my current one to my shorter barrel upper.

I hope we have some past or current users of the JP Large Profile that can comment.

The only experience I've had with the large JP/Cooley was on a 6.5 Grendel and it was damn good. Flat and soft, just loud. If you want to keep it sleek I'd suggest a Seekins or Carbon Arms, they seem flatter and less torquey than the SJC with just a smidge difference in recoil between the three. They also have more gas going forward and away so you don't get hit with that concussive blast like with Titan or Tank.

You can always change comps if you want to shoot in another division.

Not on the fly. I shoot at local matches in both Open and tac ops with the same rifle. Just remove the bi pod and put the cover on the off set red dot. I get double the shooting in this way.

Besides there is no additional reduction I can tell in the Tank over the Titan from shooting the guns I have tried with both. Why not have a comp that works in all divisions if its just as effective?

Edited by Alaskapopo

You know, I've read both articles years ago and I initially used them to buy some of my original comps. In a vacuum, everything being equal, those are definitely true. However, when I tried them on different guns, they all react differently to me. For instance, I had the Titan on one of my first 3G builds and it was amazing. I put it on a different AR last year and the downward force was so much that it dipped after each shot (but it's ranked 6th). Then I put a Rolling Thunder on there and had it tuned, it had more rearward movement than the Titan (but it shouldn't, right? Titan-63%, Thunder-57%) and it was really flat. Of course, things like how they are installed, clocked, dynamics of the rifle and shooter does come into play.

On the JP Tank, I talked a buddy of mine, who shoots Open, to get one. Wow, it was best shooting AR (feel, flat, felt like reduced recoil) I have shot and the only thing that came close to me was the Thunder. I also have a JP Tank on a .308 of mine and it really tames that rifle down.

I definitely don't have the time behind an AR like Mr. Kelley and definitely can't shoot like him either so take this for what it's worth but it's just my journey of different builds and components over the years.

WOW!!!! You get it!!!! With all the crap we read and hear about comps, it really comes down to how they work for the individual!

ALL I did was supply a LOT of repeatable test data, but people just want to just KNOW what the best one is! Well I can't answer that

(obviously others can somehow :huh: ) so I suggest (in the articles and on all forums) that people use the info I provided to make an informed decision

and buy two and see what works for them!

I just got done collecting video of some 308 comps and while I will pick one using the data, I will probably not offer that info to the public.

I use the PWS FSC30/FSC556 in open; the rest of my group uses battlecomp 1.0's (I have different threading, so I can't use one unfortunately!). Nothing but compliments on the battlecomp 1.0's. For myself, I do love using the PWS and while it does look cool, the main reason I like it is because it controls muzzle rise very well and also reduces flash to near nothing in night shoots (if you do those at all). My rifle is heavy by the way--I think around 11-12 lbs, so my rifle doesn't have a lot of recoil to begin with, but these brakes work well and don't cost an arm and a leg. I found a couple new take-offs from Scars for $50 a pop. I'd try out a few comps and see what you like best in any case.

I use the PWS FSC30/FSC556 in open; the rest of my group uses battlecomp 1.0's (I have different threading, so I can't use one unfortunately!). Nothing but compliments on the battlecomp 1.0's. For myself, I do love using the PWS and while it does look cool, the main reason I like it is because it controls muzzle rise very well and also reduces flash to near nothing in night shoots (if you do those at all). My rifle is heavy by the way--I think around 11-12 lbs, so my rifle doesn't have a lot of recoil to begin with, but these brakes work well and don't cost an arm and a leg. I found a couple new take-offs from Scars for $50 a pop. I'd try out a few comps and see what you like best in any case.

With all due respect, the Battlecomp is not in the same league as all the other comps mentioned in this thread, in my limited experience. Its more of a "hybrid" or "tactical" comp, meant to have less concussion and blast than typical comps, but is also somewhat less effective in stabilizing the muzzle. Much more pleasant to be next to someone using one than an open sided comp.

Sold my BC and am running a Carbon Arms comp; more effective, a bit louder to the shooter, but not obnoxious to ROs or fellow shooters at the range, based on personal experience. May go back to a more tactical comp in the future, as my only carbine serves dual purposes of competition and home defense. If I do, it will be the Griffin Arms version as its as effective and just a little over half the price of the BC.

Again, thanks Patrick for steering me to that comp!

Mark