Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lone Wolf Barrel and OAL

fyresq

I have been loading Missouri Bullet 180gr TCFP to 1.135" for my Glock 35 with the OEM barrel. I recently picked up a Lone Wolf barrel and the slide won't go into battery unless the rounds are 1.12" or less. This seems a little on the short side, did I get a barrel with a bad chamber is this normal?

This is normal. I sent my LW barrel back to them with a few dummy rounds and for $15.00 they opened up the chamber to accept the larger diameter lead bullets and throated it so I could load out to 1.150. The chamber is too tight for anything over .400 as the barrel comes. Since they opened up the chamber and throated it for me my gun has been 100% reliable with lead or coated bullets. The turn around was 6 days from Lone Wolf for the reaming and throating.

I'd rather keep it the way it is and bring the OAL shorter until it chambers. You will simply adjust down your powder load accordingly. You have to look at it as a plus: less powder = less recoil. Keeping your barrel the way it is allows you to use jacketed or factory ammo without accuracy issues. There's alot to learn when handloading cast .

Edited by BOOST

This is normal. I sent my LW barrel back to them with a few dummy rounds and for $15.00 they opened up the chamber to accept the larger diameter lead bullets and throated it so I could load out to 1.150. The chamber is too tight for anything over .400 as the barrel comes. Since they opened up the chamber and throated it for me my gun has been 100% reliable with lead or coated bullets. The turn around was 6 days from Lone Wolf for the reaming and throating.

If one wants to shoot most cast bullet loads from a LWD barrel send it to them and they will open it up,that or choose any other companies barrel and shoot as is. SJ 40

I'd rather keep it the way it is and bring the OAL shorter until it chambers. You will simply adjust down your powder load accordingly. You have to look at it as a plus: less powder = less recoil. Keeping your barrel the way it is allows you to use jacketed or factory ammo without accuracy issues. There's alot to learn when handloading cast .

Ummmmm???? Alrighty then I guess

It isn't a cast issue, it is a LWD barrel issue. They are intended for jacketed ammunition and not properly throated for cast bullets because it's not apparent to them why people buy aftermarket barrels for Glock pistols in the first place. I had a thread about it on another forum about this very issue.

Thanks guys, I'll be sending it off to get it throated. Is this something that is just a .40 issue? I've got a LWD barrel in my G17 and it handles lead just fine but I was thinking of getting one for my G19 and I don't want to run into the same problem.

Thanks guys, I'll be sending it off to get it throated. Is this something that is just a .40 issue? I've got a LWD barrel in my G17 and it handles lead just fine but I was thinking of getting one for my G19 and I don't want to run into the same problem.

More of a 40 thing due to the TC bullets most commonly used in them.

Yes it is referred to as the GT hole. SJ 40

It isn't a cast issue, it is a LWD barrel issue. They are intended for jacketed ammunition and not properly throated for cast bullets because it's not apparent to them why people buy aftermarket barrels for Glock pistols in the first place. I had a thread about it on another forum about this very issue.

The issue here is really knowledge . Like I said there is much to learn about cast boolits. You could simply change boolit profile. YES you could ream the chamber to work with the boolit that you have , I get that. But that it not the only answer. That is ok if that is the only boolit profile that works well for you, you'll never shoot jacketed through, or you have a $h!T load of. I'm here to share solutions, not just one. Your way is not the Holy Grail.

The issue here is really knowledge . Like I said there is much to learn about cast boolits. You could simply change boolit profile. YES you could ream the chamber to work with the boolit that you have , I get that. But that it not the only answer. That is ok if that is the only boolit profile that works well for you, you'll never shoot jacketed through, or you have a $h!T load of. I'm here to share solutions, not just one. Your way is not the Holy Grail.

I've loaded and shot a lot more cast bullets than you have. I don't need an education from you on cast bullets with regard to loading and shooting them. Thanks.

freakshow10mm:

I was just giving the OP more options. Not just one. And for everyone else who's reading this thread. If I didn't care, then I wouldn't share. BTW I would think that I've shoot more cast than you. Why? because I call them "boolits"

: )

I've been loading cast bullets for close to 45 years, just recently heard them referred to as "Boolits". I'm thinking that must be trendy these days. Too late for me, they'll be "Bullets" as long as I'm around.

I'm an advocate of fixing the problem at it's origin. Not adapting to deal with it. I have a .40 and a 9mm conversion barrel for my Glock 35, along with a 9mm barrel for my 1, all three from LW. All are going to make the trip back to Lone Wolf for the "Glock Hole" modification. Just haven't gotten back to shooting the Glocks much these days as my primary interest these days is CZ. Don't know why LW doesn't understand that Glock shooters buy their barrels to shoot cast bullets-------------. My stock Glock barrels shoot lead better than the LW barrels as is. Perhaps when my LW barrels come home that will change.

I've been loading cast bullets for close to 45 years, just recently heard them referred to as "Boolits". I'm thinking that must be trendy these days. Too late for me, they'll be "Bullets" as long as I'm around.

I'm an advocate of fixing the problem at it's origin. Not adapting to deal with it. I have a .40 and a 9mm conversion barrel for my Glock 35, along with a 9mm barrel for my 1, all three from LW. All are going to make the trip back to Lone Wolf for the "Glock Hole" modification. Just haven't gotten back to shooting the Glocks much these days as my primary interest these days is CZ. Don't know why LW doesn't understand that Glock shooters buy their barrels to shoot cast bullets-------------. My stock Glock barrels shoot lead better than the LW barrels as is. Perhaps when my LW barrels come home that will change.

First of all, if your stock Glock barrels shoot better, why would you buy 3 LW barrels?

Second, if you are an advocate to fixing a problem, then you would have stop buying "the problem"and get KKM instead.

Third, at 45 years of casting you should know there is always something new to learn. I'm very open minded at learning something new. Visit

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php

the people are great there. They love to share.

First of all, if your stock Glock barrels shoot better, why would you buy 3 LW barrels?

Second, if you are an advocate to fixing a problem, then you would have stop buying "the problem"and get KKM instead.

Third, at 45 years of casting you should know there is always something new to learn. I'm very open minded at learning something new. Visit

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php

the people are great there. They love to share.

First of all, if your stock Glock barrels shoot better, why would you buy 3 LW barrels? (No way to know that without owning the barrels)

Have to confess that these barrels I have are not the first LW barrels I have owned. I have worked around the throating problem for years. Wasn't much of a problem when I was only loading for Glock .40s. All ran fine at a 1.10 OAL. Loading major PF, it's nice to have the extra case capacity a longer cartridge allows. I'm also a little on the cheap side, thus the appeal of the LW barrels. Not a lot of return for the money on investing beyond a certain point in Glocks. The guns I'm running now like a 1.14 OAL, and will not chamber in my LW .40 Glock barrel. It's good logistics to have ammo that will run in any common caliber gun I own. If I owned only one pistol in .40, I'd load specifically for that chamber and be done. Owning a few more than that, I'm not loading chamber specific ammo for multiple pistols. It just makes sense to throat the barrels as they should have been done initially. I don't have a problem with any of the many other Glock parts I've bought from LW and would still recommend their products to others---------with an admonishment on the barrel chambers, of course.

And--------they're still cast Bullets!

For clairification:

What is a Boolit?

The term "boolit" may be seen on some forums on the internet these days. Well, what is it, the reader wonders? Well, wonder no more.

The word "boolit" is a made-up word and is not part of the English language. It is a deliberate misspelling of the word "bullet". The origin of this term seems to have come from a forum called castboolits.gunloads.com and spread from there on to many other shooting forums (mostly those with a lot of American members). As per the forum, a boolit is a projectile that is hand cast by a person for use by an individual, whereas a bullet is a machine-made projectile made by a commercial company for mass consumption. Another common difference per the forum members is that a "boolit" is cast from a mold, whereas a "bullet" is a jacketed projectile.

In the good old days, many fire arms came with their own bullet molds.

re: http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2012/11/what-is-boolit.html

Edited by Gandof

• 3 weeks later...

I got my barrel back from Lone Wolf a couple of days ago. The turn around was only 2 weeks, which when you consider it was over the holidays, is not bad at all. I haven't had a chance to take it out and test fire it yet, but all my reloads drop right in and out like factory rounds.

I don't think they sent back the same barrel though, the one I sent in was shiny and looked like the wolf logo was applied by a drunk chimp with a torch, the one I got back has some very nice laser engraving and a satin finish.

They refinished mine too and it looked much better when I got it back but I had marked it before sending and it was the same barrel. Didn't look the same though. I have them do it now when I purchase so I don't have to send it back. I have had excellent results with mine since they opened it up. I really don't understand why it doesn't come that way to start with.