Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FAL Locking Shoulder

Skalkaho Slim

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured this was as good a place as any.

I'm curious as to what function the locking shoulder pin is for on an FAL.  The only thing I have found is that it is not to be removed unless you're going to adjust the headspace.

Can anyone "clue me in" on this?  Thanks!

Toujours Pret!

Slim

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured this was as good a place as any.

I'm curious as to what function the locking shoulder pin is for on an FAL.  The only thing I have found is that it is not to be removed unless you're going to adjust the headspace.

Can anyone "clue me in" on this?  Thanks!

Toujours Pret!

Slim

Slim, the FN FAL is a very ingenious design.   Since, the width of the locking shoulder determines the headspace, a rifle with some wear can actually have excessive headspace removed "in the field",  by installing a larger locking shoulder.  The locking shoulder acts as a backstop for the bolt, so the thicker the locking shoulder, the tighter the headspace.  Locking shoulders are available in thicknesses ranging from about .256"  to about .273" and Brownell's sells an "uncut" version too.  

Slim, the FN FAL is a very ingenious design.   Since, the width of the locking shoulder determines the headspace, a rifle with some wear can actually have excessive headspace removed "in the field",  by installing a larger locking shoulder.  The locking shoulder acts as a backstop for the bolt, so the thicker the locking shoulder, the tighter the headspace.  Locking shoulders are available in thicknesses ranging from about .256"  to about .273" and Brownell's sells an "uncut" version too.  

Do a google search on "the FAL Files" or check out http://www.roderuscustom.tzo.com under the forum: "Building an FAL at home from an 80% complete receiver".

Also, please don't post questions like this in the open gun forum; it belongs in the 3 gun section ro questions that don't fit forum.

(Edited by Carlos at 10:02 am on Jan. 27, 2003)

Do a google search on "the FAL Files" or check out http://www.roderuscustom.tzo.com under the forum: "Building an FAL at home from an 80% complete receiver".

Also, please don't post questions like this in the open gun forum; it belongs in the 3 gun section ro questions that don't fit forum.

(Edited by Carlos at 10:02 am on Jan. 27, 2003)