Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer seating issues with my 650

Start with the basics.

Make sure your press is solidly mounted to a rock solid bench. With my first 650 I had priming problems until I added additional support.

Make sure your station locator tab (PN: 13242) is properly adjusted. It's suppose to be about the thickness of a business card from the casing.

Make sure the seater assembly is screwed all the way in.

If you have an alignment tool, check to see if the shell plate is properly indexing.

Use a smooth consistent stroke when operating the press. If you feel resistance when seating the primer stop and see how the case if out of alignment.

I've read (not experienced) that Winchester primers as of late haven't been the best quality. I don't know if this is true or not. I heard it on the internet. Bonjour!

Good luck diagnosing your problem! Let us know what you came up with!

I encountered and solved this problem, also loading .45ACP. In my case, I found some damage to the primer disc, a slight burr had developed on top of the holes, and I believe that was a contributing factor. The solution was to completely dismantle, inspect, and clean the primer system, and replace the disc. Now that I think of it, just turning the primer disc over would have had the same effect. That did it, the problem went away, although I confess that I'm not completely certain about how I did it. Replacing parts always makes me feel better, anyway.

If I really understood the primer system better, I would be able to identify the source of what may have been a slight timing problem that caused the damage to the disk. Cleaning the system may have solved the timing problem, if there was one, and I also looked for any wear on other parts that had to do with timing.

Chris

Edited by cohland