Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which C-More mount do you prefer and why?

PistolPete

I've always shot my open guns with a standard C-More mount but I'm intrigued with the side mounted C-More mounts because the dot is closer to the bore. I have a new open gun I'm getting use to but not sure if I should change the mount out or not. I just wanted to see what others have had with experience with this setup. Does the mount block any of your vision or do you simply not notice it?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

I started with the 90 degree mount because it was closer to the bore. After a few matches I switched to a Brazos upright and am much happier.I felt it blocked some vision. After switching mounts I also felt the gun tracked better for me as well. I am a fan of upright mounts.

Edited by donnyglock

I started with a Quinn 3 sideways mount. Then on a whim bought a cheely upright mount and like it way better. Don't have a big blind spot on the left side of the gun. I know guys say the sideways mount is easier to find the dot. But with a little dry fire and muscle memory. No issues for me.

Started with a tasco pdp3, yes I'm old, I thought the new C-more was a fad

Switched to a c-more years later, and never had a problem with finding the dot

3-4 years ago switch to sideways mount, and will never go back

The left side vision block was a concern, but once I started shooting the gun, I never noticed it

The lower sight height over bore comes in handy on close upper A/B shots or shooting over a no shoot or hard cover

And by moving the scope out of the way of the ejection port, you no longer have to tune the gun to eject brass sideways

I have used:

C-More on SVI upright mount

C-More on a Cheeley 90*

and I am now using:

RTS on a Cheeley upright and it is by far (For me) the best. It points and tracks beautifully and there is ZERO vision obstruction and it's a nice happy medium between the mounts. It gets the dot lower to help with parallax and it just plain looks cleaner.

So that is my $ .02

Edited by StraightUp_OG

I started with the upright C-More mounts and got use to it.

Then, about 2 years ago, I switched to the sideways C-More mount on my new open gun. Had to get use to it as I now had to bring the gun up higher into my line of sight. I have since gotten use to it and like it. Don't notice it blocking my vision one bit, only if I try to sight thru the lens then I notice it blocking my view but I focus on the target anyway.

I like that the dot is closer to the bore for those upper A shots especially when there is a no shoot below it.

Last night I was playing with one of my older open guns with the straight up mount and found I was bring the gun up too high to see the dot. I guess with practice, you can get use to anything.

Don't notice it blocking my vision one bit, only if I try to sight thru the lens then I notice it blocking my view but I focus on the target anyway.

^^^ This.

I used a slide mounted STS when I started, and now I have a 90 degree Cheely with a Slide Ride. I don't notice the mount or red dot body at all, UNLESS you are focusing through the lens and not at the target.

I used to have a upricht mount on mij tanfoglio goldcustom now i have a 90 deg mount on mij

custom build 2011 .

I like the 90 deg mount mutch better , never noticed the body or mount blocking my view in any way if you just focus at the target with both eyes open jou seem to look right tru it .

Big advantage is you dont have to compensate so mutch for near by or long distance shots .

And for me the way of aiming feels more natural ( more like a gun with iron sights ).

I just started shooting Open I have a sideways mount and love it easier for me to find Compared to my Top Mounted C-more on my .22cal Pistol. I do like how low to the bore it is esp on the closer targets and the No shoot targets in front of SHOOT targets don't have to worry to much. But I have been shooting open for only 2 matches and about 1 month or so total.

My first question for the OP that is currently running an upright mount: Does your gun run? If it does, there is really no true benefit to using a sideways mount, other then the fact that you like it, or for one of the preceived advantages listed above. When these mounts first came out, everyone's first thought was, "Look at that silly ass ugly thing; why would you put something like that on your gun?" Well, as it turns out, it does have a specific purpous which it does very well. At that time, many home brewed open guns had ejection/extraction issues and people found out by taking the scope off, that all a sudden, their guns started working. Then some very smart man had an idea to move the mount all the way to the left to clear the ejection port and the sidemount was born. This gave the shooter a choice to either send the gun to a professional to have it tuned to properly eject, or save some money and just change the mount; although this was just a band-aid fix to a tuning issue, it was very effective. As far as the dot being closer to the bore for the close up head shots, if you need an off set dot for that, chances are you have already lost the stage anyway. But as always use what you want and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain :-)

Rick88- I'm not a newb shooter by any means. I'm a master open shooter and totally understand that it's the Indian and not the arrow. I just got a new Bedell open gun and I haven't lock-tighted the mount on so this is why I'm thinking of it. I would think the Paralax with the offset mount would be much less so the dot would be more consistent for both close range, mid-range, and long range and not having to know the hold off on each shot.

Since you are that far along, I would be interested in your final results if you choose to continue. For myself, I don't think this would be an improvement; my muscle memory is already burnt into the upright mount.

I don't really believe in muscle memory. I know shooting gets into the subconscious but I don't think it's where the dot sits on the gun it's more about what your eyes see and how that triggers a response. I'm going to just buy the side mount and try it for a few months and report back with what I discover. I may love it, may hate it, or may not even notice any difference. Guess that's what testing is all about. I think that any advantage or disadvantage will be minimal but even a 1% advantage can be a big improvement.

I started with the traditional upright, never really liked it. Had to quit shooting for a year and a half. When I started shooting again I went with the 90 degree on a Glock & loved it. When I had Cheely build me my STI I stayed with the 90 degree. Anyone that says it holds you back is full of it, I was unclassified in Jan, and made GM with a sideways scope!

Though i have to say I did break a cmore supposedlyfrom being mounted the wrong way! I sent it back, they fixed it, and broke not 200 rounds later! Sent it back again, ended up talking to one of the tech's and he said that optic was never designed to handle the recoil in that direction (90 degree mounted), He also said I would continue to break then until I mounted it the correct way. I don't like the upright mounts at all, doubt I will switch to it. I will more than likely replace my cmore with a aluminum (there supposed to be stronger) and see what happens.

There is my .02

Went from limited to open when my old eyes started going. Started with the upright mount but never could 100% master finding the dot. Changed to a Cheely 90 mount and love it. Every open gun I have I changed to a Cheely side mount. I have yet to have a problem finding the dot on the draw or transitioning to weak or strong hand. Good luck.

I have found switching from open to irons and back, I like a dot low.

I have an original Quinn mount on my old open gun, putting a new cheely set back.

Also have a radical precision design jpoint mount on one.

I tried Dawson's mounts, just too high.

I have found switching from open to irons and back, I like a dot low.

I have an original Quinn mount on my old open gun, putting a new cheely set back.

Also have a radical precision design jpoint mount on one.

I tried Dawson's mounts, just too high.

+1 on this comment. I recently got a "new to me" Trubor, top mount and had difficulty transitioning back and forth between irons and Cmore.

I sought the advice of several Master level shooters........ the consensus was that if I was going to shoot Open exclusively, save my money and stick with the top mount, I'd adapt quickly. If I'm going to shoot all of my guns and switch back and forth, the side mount will work best. I'm doing that and it seems to be working much better. Got a Quinn 3 and like it a lot... you might need a slide racker with it.

I just started shooting open last year. When I bought the used open gun it had an upright mount. I had a hard time finding the dot.

I switched to the Quinn 3 for both of my open guns. It works much better for me.

I shoot other divisions so the swap is easier for me. I don't notice any field of view blockage on the left side.

I have an extra Quinn 3 mount for sale in the classifieds.