Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did something change w/Unique Powder?

Xhris

So I am somewhat new to Unique powder, but my local shop always has it so I made the switch. When I look at load information online, its WAY off. One persons minimum, is another maximum.. The information that comes with the LEE dies is nothing like what they say they are going to be.. Its like at some point something changed and now all the information is goofed up....

Looking to do 125gr Lead (Mastercast) w/Unique @ 1.1K FPS. Some web pages say 3.4gr, others say 6.0. Thats a mighty big difference...

Thoughts / Ideas?

Thanks!

Chris

Edited by Xhris

I can't recall if it was Unique but I have noticed this before in researching load data. Start low (but not TO low), work up, chrono in your gun. I loaded for 20+ years and never chrono'ed. Had no idea what my loads were doing. Did not blow anything up (thank the Lord) but since I started chronoing my loads it has been a real eye openner.

For a 124 grain cast bullet:

RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1 - start 4.7/1083 fps; max 5.2/1166 fps, from a 4" S&W M39.

Ken Waters Pet Loads - 5.5/1204 fps from a 4" Luger.

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook - start 4.3/940 fps; max 5.3/1135 fps, from a 4" barrel in a universal receiver.

+1 on getting a chrono to check how they run in your gun!

Five grains should get you in the ballpark of where you want to be.