Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 swager

I have no need for one as I have enough 1050's to swage anything that needs it but as an information source, this forum has always been pretty good.

I am sure that more than one of my mods wouldn't get a grin from "the man" but the posts are still here. Why have the posts of the mods from G.S. been deleted?

I understand posts for selling things in this forum but selling posts have been taken out before, like the shell sorter fellow and the content remains. Why is ALL of the information gone?

You know the first guy that found fire got burned but many of us have found a better way of using it....?

Edited by jmorris

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I remember Dillon chimed in and said don't use this thing and it will void your warranty... Eventually the maker of 650 swage explained how the product was the best thing since sliced bread and the mods closed/deleted the thread.

We should never speak of such things again :) (again not really sure why, but undoubtedly the 650 swage is pure evil)

Years ago I had heard about a guy who altered his 550 to swag in station one. I think he made a steel, non sliding primer charge bar with a dillon swag tip in place of the primer cup.

I always figured that would be pretty easy to do on a 550 given the geometry, and so I see there is one for the 550, too.

So I'm getting ready to start reloading 223 (been reloading 9mm for about 1 1/2 yrs) and have ordered some of what I need ....

Is swaging necessary on all 223 brass or only certain types or after a certain number of reloads?

hmmmm .... so 2 questions arise then ...

1) I assume it's only certain head stamps that are mil brass? Can you tell the primer is crimped by another method?

2) I know there is no real answer to this but if I were to pick up a 1000 random pieces of 223 at a non-military range how many could I expect to be mil? 5? 100? 500? In other words, how prevalent is it?

ok, that's 7 questions ...

No. I just learned which headstamps to throw in the "needs additional attention" bucket. I sit down with some beers and do a crimp removal party in the dead of winter. The vast majority of range pickup is good to go without swaging/reaming.

Of course the guys with 1050's don't worry about it since swaging comes with the press.

Care to share which head stamps you discovered need additional TLC besides LC? I don't have a winter but I won't be setup for another month or so so I could you the time to go through my 2 five gallon buckets of brass to see if I'll need a swager sooner rather than later .