Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A funny thing happened on the way to the chrono

outerlimits

Two stories.

#1. Was at my buddies range letting him shoot my Weatherby 7mm mag rifle when a turkey cam strolling across the range. He looked up at us and continue on. I fired over a shot (on the target) and he stopped for a second, then moved on. My buddy took two more shots and that dang turkey could not have cared less. No we didn't have Thanksgiving early!

#2. A million years ago when I was in the Reserves in Ireland we were on the 300 yard range with Bren Guns. While we were setting up a few magpies flew in and landed at about  200 yards from us. After I spotted the birds I looked to the other end of the firing line and motioned to my buddy. We passed the word and finished setting up.....at this point all 9 of us were ready to do laps all afternoon. The order when up, single shot lads, fire at will......All nine of us flipped on the giggle switches and all nine lit up the 200 yard mark with 30 rounds a piece. The noise was glorious and boy did we send dirt flying. Needless to say the magpies were...well gone and all manner of cease firing orders where yelled out, but clearly too late! After that we ran around for a bit with Lee Enfields over out head, but we were young and dumb so it didn't bother us.

7 hours ago, quiller said:

Weatherby 7mm mag rifle when a turkey came by.  No we didn't have Thanksgiving early!

When I'm turkey hunting, I like to "carry enough gun", but 7mm is a bit much,

unless it's loaded with #4 shot.

Not sure a center shot would have left anything but the gizzard.     ?

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

When I'm turkey hunting, I like to "carry enough gun", but 7mm is a bit much,

unless it's loaded with #4 shot.

Not sure a center shot would have left anything but the gizzard.     ?

Lol....gizzard indeed. As a joke once I tried to buy 7mm mag ammo in a smaller local gun store and the owner said "try down the road in Montana". Mind you we we in Mass at the time! I call it my lawyer gun as you need to be highly paid to shoot it....$3 a pop....and it kick like a mule. But I would not want to be in its cross hairs.