Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Aluminum Grip

konkapot

Found cracks in mine yesterday. This is the newer/improved version.

Cracks were on both sides, directly behind the trigger and roughly parallel to the trigger face.

Round count was about 15k.

Not a customer service complaint, just letting the enosverse know.

Will call STI tomorrow.

I cracked mine a few months back. STI offered to replace it but I lost faith in the product and asked for a few plastic grips in return. Sold the spare I had as well. (Yea, I bought two!)

It is just way too thin above the mag catch area for a material that doesn't flex. It felt awesome in my small hands, but they need to beef it up. Now looking into a steel option from PT.

I cracked mine on one of my limited guns. 170 PF ammo. I was running a 12.5 ISMI recoil spring during that time, with no shock buff, and a very light slide.

Mine slipped on and required no fitting.

I cracked mine a few months back. STI offered to replace it but I lost faith in the product and asked for a few plastic grips in return. Sold the spare I had as well. (Yea, I bought two!)

It is just way too thin above the mag catch area for a material that doesn't flex. It felt awesome in my small hands, but they need to beef it up. Now looking into a steel option from PT.

P / T aluminum grip is beefier in the area that you speak of. Dean Markos has been running one for awhile now, he has tried to break it and has had no luck in doing so, but steel is nice too, good luck

Edited by Sudden Death

• 10 months later...

Suffered hammer follow mid stage today. Found the sear spring grove on my STI aluminum grip. This thing has ~1K rounds on it. 6" limited 40 s&w.. Anybody seen this before?? Seems like a pretty low tension area to have just blow out mid mag??? I don't even dry fire with this gun... I love the feel of this over the polymer.. Haven't called STI yet to see if I'm out a few bills, Any suggestions??

post-16185-0-52117600-1410740305_thumb.j

I had one come with that slot milled/cut way too small. I....very very gently....tried to open it up with a small file. Bottom piece broke off and looked just like yours.

"Fortunately" it was cracked in the usual places. Sent it back to STI and they sent me another new one.

Suffered hammer follow mid stage today. Found the sear spring grove on my STI aluminum grip. This thing has ~1K rounds on it. 6" limited 40 s&w.. Anybody seen this before?? Seems like a pretty low tension area to have just blow out mid mag??? I don't even dry fire with this gun... I love the feel of this over the polymer.. Haven't called STI yet to see if I'm out a few bills, Any suggestions??

Same problem here.

Good to know I'm not the only case. And yes, this slot was tight on mine when I slid the spring tab in but I did not need to modify it.. I have a contact name now so we'll see what STI will do...

let us know how it turns out.

My PT aluminum has been going and going.

MY STI aluminum grips were horrible. I can't recommend them. I hope they get it right one day.

Sad part is they are only $5 apart on price. Maybe the billet STI uses is a weaker alloy.

6061 vs 7075, but that isn't the only difference. You can visually see that the area above the mag catch is much beefier on the PT units than the STI. I have at least 15-20k on the PT grip which is installed on my limited gun. But I am upgrading to the steel anyway.