Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for SDB users

I have a 550B with perhaps 75K rounds loaded on it, about half .45ACP and the other half spread among .40, 9mm, and .38 Special.

I'll be mainly loading 9mm in the future, doing so now, and the primer feed has begun to stick badly and generally not act right with the SP primer bar. No amount of adjustment/tweaking helps for any length of time, so I imagine I need a new SP primer bar and maybe feed tube housing, etc.

I'm considering just getting a Square Deal B in 9mm and holding the 550B in reserve for when I need to crank out any of the others (which will be perhaps once a year, as I can put out enough .40 S&W in a couple of days to keep my wife supplied for a year, ditto my .45 and .38 needs).

My question is this: does the auto-indexing of the SDB, along with its not-needing-any-set-up readiness, make it worthwhile so as not to keep switching the 550 around?

By "worthwhile", I mean time and convenience. The added cost of the SDB isn't a factor, as I'd just spend the money on something else...

The SDB is great providing YOUR hands and fingers are SMALL TO MEDIUM SIZED.

The SQB is smaller than the 550's overall size and a little cramped in the working

area for those with LARGE HANDS OR FAT FINGERS.

The SDB can load up a bunch of ammo for you.

The SQB is smaller than the 550's overall size and a little cramped in the working

The SDB DOES have a smaller workspace, but I have gorilla hands, and I have NO problems operating my SDB. It makes GREAT ammo, and does so pretty quickly.

I ran an SDB for years and it rocks if you keep it dedicated to a single pistol caliber. Don't even think about changing calibers - way too much of a PITA.

It's just like any other Dillon press. If you have an extra tool head and powder measure, changing calibers is quick and painless.

Pull the 4 tool head bolts, switch tool head, replace bolts, start loading.

The SDB DOES have a smaller workspace, but I have gorilla hands, and I have NO problems operating my SDB. It makes GREAT ammo, and does so pretty quickly.

I ran an SDB for years and it rocks if you keep it dedicated to a single pistol caliber. Don't even think about changing calibers - way too much of a PITA.

It's just like any other Dillon press. If you have an extra tool head and powder measure, changing calibers is quick and painless.

Pull the 4 tool head bolts, switch tool head, replace bolts, start loading.

Seems to be my experience.

The SDB is a great press for the money. I have 2 of them (& a 550), they work great and I have only good things to say about them. As mentioned they are a bit small for large hands but I manage just fine.

The SDB is a machine and they all require occasional maintenance and cleaning (including the priming system). It almost sounds like you are getting the SDB to avoid tinkering with your 550 priming system. If that is the case I'd rethink it. The 550 priming sys isn't hard to work on either.

The SDB is easy to use. Caliber and primer changes take just minutes with extra toolheads etc (like the 550) and the big difference is the SDB is progressive.

If you want a progressive to crank out lots of 9mm for a reasonable price the SDB will do that very well.

OG03

Edited by Oldgoat03

It almost sounds like you are getting the SDB to avoid tinkering with your 550 priming system.

OG03

Almost; but not quite. I am well-versed in "tinkering" with the 550 priming system. I'm looking at the SDB to avoid changing the 550 back and forth all the time; which I'm having to do to keep those two heathen grandsons of mine fed with 9mm. Now that I'm moving back to 9mm as MY cartridge of choice, it makes sense to have a dedicated machine for it.

Appreciate all the replies… think I'm gonna get one.

• 1 month later...

I had 3 SDB's and a 650XL. My SDB's have cranked out 10's of thousands of rounds over the past 15 years. They are work horses, extremely affordable. Caliber change kits are very reasonably priced. I gave each of my 2 sons one when they left home. I still have one setup on my bench next to my 650. You can't go wrong with this press.

My old one I have had for probably 20 year, and has done thousands and thousands of rounds. When I got a .40, I got another one. I have decided for the price if I change caliber so it's worth just buying a new one and leaving it set up.

I have a 550 that I use for lower volume stuff sine it does not have auto indexing.