Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just joining the crowd of - shot the chrono

Nice sequence of events. I've had a Pro Chrono 6-8 months or so maybe, chrono'd quite a few pistol rounds working up loads, set it up a few local get together range days, no problems. Had a pistol match today and felt 'off,' and since picking up a new pistol that had me needing to shorten the OAL, wanted to both chrono the shortened loads and see what the heck was up with me.

Mistake 1: set up chrono before sorting out why I was so off today.

Mistake 2: Shoot chrono. Not through the face, just the rear left upright. I now know why I bought those wooden dowels. I have no idea why I haven't actually cut them to size and used them already, now not much choice. ;) It's not bad, but put a pretty nice 45* angle in what was formerly perfectly straight...

Found the problem - new front sight vibrated loose, was literally hanging on by a thread or two. Much better once tightened, looks like it's time to re-check all loc-tite-needed bits across my gear. :-/

Will throw up a pic once I get a chance, but for everyone wondering 'How the heck can they shoot a chrono?!?' - well...seems to happen, 'somehow.' ;-)

Yes I have a joined that club as well! I think it's a case of 'Its not if you are going to shoot your crony, It's when are you going to shoot your crony' In the future however I'm going to make sure I'm shooting off a rest as I shot mine while testing pistol ammo<br /><br /><br />Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk<br /><br /><br />

Edited by phatman

I got so tired of my Chrony missing shots a few years ago that I intentionally lowered my aim and gave it a 223 round splendidly in the middle.

It had it coming.

Mark

Lol! Bet that felt good, at least at the moment. :cheers:

Thankfully, I did a bit of digging on here before buying the same and have been happy with the Pro Chrono...followed by happier still that it's still working at the moment. It's not perfect, but really tough to beat for the $.

Mostly posting because I had really wondered on how 'so many' managed to shoot the darned things, so I'm sure I'm not alone in that feeling...until I did it. Steve and phatman are right, seems to be a case of when more than if. Damn it. :D

Have to work most of today but will grab a pic sometime soon just for grins.

I'm new.....

I got my reloading room and machine set up the weekend before last. Having never reloaded, I took my time and made up 4 different recipes using Unique. Shot them through the chrony and recorded the data...everything was great.

Friday night I made 5 different loads of 10rds each using E3 to take to the range and test the next day. No published data that I could find for E3 in pistol so I started really light and worked my way up slowly. Maxing out at a powder fill higher than what others on this forum were having success with figuring that it wouldn't be too hot. Then I did a calibur change on my machine so I'd have my .40 set up to load some test rounds for Sunday.

To the range! I carry critical duty and always fire off the chambered round at the range so I don't have to worry about set back. Naturally I should put it through the chrony to see how fast it is.

I got everything set up

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd

shot my once used Chrony right in the face.

The only thing I can figure is that I finched.....like, a supid crazy amount? I do know that I didn't really concentrate on the shot because I was just clearing the chamber.

I went ahead and fired the test rounds to check for pressure signs, how the ammo cycled and feel. 3.4gns is what I settled on without being able to check the bullet speed. Turns out this is the number others on the forum were having sucess with using a light bullet. heh

So now I have to buy another chronograph this week so I can work up a .40 load for plinking.

edit: I tried to post two pictures from my phone using the Picup app but it says I'm too new to post links.

• 2 months later...

I have a pair of F1 Chrony's that are both shot end to end right through the display. I

did one, a buddy did the other. Someday I'll make them into a set of bookends for

the reloading manual shelf.

Replaced the Chrony with a CED Millenium 2---so far I've wounded one of the uprights

but not killed it.

• 2 weeks later...