Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.245" Sevigny Front: POI way too low...

CHLChris

With all of these people with experience noticing the same thing I'm noticing, it makes me wonder why Sevigny decided to suggest the .245" front sight... It also makes me wonder if the .215" front sight I'm about to order for my G23 will also be too tall, since it is 1.5" closer to the rear sight.

Any thoughts on the .215" with smaller Glocks?

Edited by CHLChris

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just recently installed Dawson sights on my 34 and I used the same height front sight that they recommend for all other Glocks (i.e., I didn't need a taller front sight). On my 17L which has an even longer sight radius I needed a .01" taller front sight than standard. You should be fine with the .215" on your 23.

• 1 month later...

I just did some testing with my Gen4 34 and Atlanta Arms & Ammo 147gr 9mm (880fps / 130 power factor from a G17).

Sevigny .245" was POA/POI at 25 yards with the AAA 9mm. It shot 1 inch low at 7 yards.

I also have a Gen4 G17 also with Sevigny sights (.215" front). It shot POA/POI at 7 yards and 2-3" high at 25 yards, with the same ammo.

OK maybe you all can help me out here because I'm wrestling with the constant issue that I see here about Dawson front sight height on G34 and G35. Just for info, I e-mailed Dawson a week ago on the same subject because of the internet confusion I see on this issue. I have not received a reply to a very carefully crafted e-mail asking their recommendation for the proper FO front sight height to use with the Dawson HD rear on a G34. That disappoints me.

I'm being a little wordy here because I want to be sure that I don't stir up more questions.

Let's assume that all Glocks are delivered with the standard plastic Glock sights. They may not be great but they do shoot pretty well without a huge variation from gun to gun, ammo to ammo, and user to user. Is that true? I think if it were not true that Glock would have all kinds of issues with customer complaints.

Maybe I'm wrong on that, but bear with me a little bit. I can (and have) go out and buy multiple vendors replacement sights and they work fairly well. My G17 has had factory, XS, TruGlo FO, and the current Trijicon night sights and while I like some better than others they all worked pretty well without all this controversy.

So now I'm getting a G34 and want some Dawson sights and I find all this confusing information. From what I read here some people shoot low and others high with the same darn sights. Then I decide to go the source (Dawson) and get their take on it and can't even get a dam response.

This cannot be that complex. It is simple geometry and I don't think Glocks vary much from gun to gun so it should not be trial and error. I wonder why some sight manufacturer can't simply publish a table of (at least) starting points for using their sights on each gun. If you think I'm saying all this confusion does not make common sense, you are entirely correct. It has to be simpler than it is coming out.

Mine is shooting low too. I'm looking for a .230 front but if any of you folks would like to trade a .215 for a .245, I'm willing to.

+1 Im am ordering a .230. My .240 Is about 1 inch low at 15yds.

Are you seeing any in stock? Dawson is sold out.

I use Warren Sevigny front .245 on my 34 and they hit POA/POI. I recently put set of Dawson sights on my sons 35 using the Dawson formula and I haven't shot it to much but I was hitting steel at 25 yards ( I got rained out of further paper testing). The front sight is .230 and rear is .250 they were out of stock and shipped within a week. I like the design of the Dawson front sights better than the Sevigny they seem brighter to me.

I don't understand why they differ so much from pistol to pistol. I guess they all have to be tested as all places will send a different sight if you don't like the way they work... I will be changing all my Glocks to Dawson over time.

I don't understand why they differ so much from pistol to pistol. I guess they all have to be tested as all places will send a different sight if you don't like the way they work... I will be changing all my Glocks to Dawson over time.

My guess is not everyone is testing the same way, not using the same ammo (power factor and weight).

Sevigny's website says: "Point of Aim/Point of Impact (POA/POI) for G34 and G35, with most subsonic ammo, will be at or slightly above the front post (approx. 2”) with the .215″ tall front at 25 yards.

OK maybe you all can help me out here because I'm wrestling with the constant issue that I see here about Dawson front sight height on G34 and G35. Just for info, I e-mailed Dawson a week ago on the same subject because of the internet confusion I see on this issue. I have not received a reply to a very carefully crafted e-mail asking their recommendation for the proper FO front sight height to use with the Dawson HD rear on a G34. That disappoints me.

I'm being a little wordy here because I want to be sure that I don't stir up more questions.

Let's assume that all Glocks are delivered with the standard plastic Glock sights. They may not be great but they do shoot pretty well without a huge variation from gun to gun, ammo to ammo, and user to user. Is that true? I think if it were not true that Glock would have all kinds of issues with customer complaints.

Maybe I'm wrong on that, but bear with me a little bit. I can (and have) go out and buy multiple vendors replacement sights and they work fairly well. My G17 has had factory, XS, TruGlo FO, and the current Trijicon night sights and while I like some better than others they all worked pretty well without all this controversy.

So now I'm getting a G34 and want some Dawson sights and I find all this confusing information. From what I read here some people shoot low and others high with the same darn sights. Then I decide to go the source (Dawson) and get their take on it and can't even get a dam response.

This cannot be that complex. It is simple geometry and I don't think Glocks vary much from gun to gun so it should not be trial and error. I wonder why some sight manufacturer can't simply publish a table of (at least) starting points for using their sights on each gun. If you think I'm saying all this confusion does not make common sense, you are entirely correct. It has to be simpler than it is coming out.

Brooke, I tried to answer your questions in the other thread here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=185668. I have a G34 with the Dawson Competition HD sights. Before ordering I emailed Dawson to see which front sight height they recommended. I'm not sure why they haven't replied to you, I always get a reply within 24 hours. But they told me to go with the standard recommended .230" front sight if you're getting the .250" rear sight. This has worked out for me and shoots to the correct POI.

As to why some Glocks shoot to different POI with the same sights - there are a few factors. I mostly shoot 115gr 9mm, I believe heavier 147gr will shoot higher. Also it depends on what your preferred sight picture is. Do you want the POI to be at the top edge of the front sight, or behind the fiber optic rod? I like POI to be at the top edge of the front sight, if my POA were the fiber optic dot then I'd also shoot higher.

Also, if you're not aware, see Dawson' Perfect Impact Policy: http://www.dawsonprecision.com/images/Instructions/Perfect%20Impact%20Policy.pdf. If the sights don't shoot to the correct POI, Dawson will give you a new front sight for free. When they replied to my email they said to order the standard recommended .230" front sight in order to qualify for the Perfect Impact Policy.

Russel92, based on your input above, I went to the Dawson site and verified that the 0.230 front is their recommendation for the 0.250 rear. I successfully ordered both sights with rear notch and front width I wanted. I just placed a note on the order explaining my intended use on a G34 and asking that they let me know of updated recommendations, if any, they might have.

Thanks for your information. Maybe I can now move forward when the sights arrive......Thanks

Edited by Brooke

Russel92, based on your input above, I went to the Dawson site and verified that the 0.230 front is their recommendation for the 0.250 rear. I successfully ordered both sights with rear notch and front width I wanted. I just placed a note on the order explaining my intended use on a G34 and asking that they let me know of updated recommendations, if any, they might have.

Thanks for your information. Maybe I can now move forward when the sights arrive......Thanks

You're welcome. I hope the sights work out for you and I didn't lead you astray! :) At the worst, if for some reason they don't shoot to the correct POI you can use the sight calculator on their website to figure out how much taller a front sight you'll need and Dawson will ship you a new one for free.

I went to the Dawson site and verified that the 0.230 front is their recommendation for the 0.250 rear.

That is my concern that their blanket recommendation is .230 for a .250 rear. No matter what the slide length?

When I spoke to them they said to start with the .230" for the G34 and if that didn't work they'd give me a taller sight, as I said it shot dead on for me. On my 17L which has an even longer sight radius I needed a .01" taller front sight than their standard recommended height to shoot to the correct POI.

Something interesting I found: Dawson recommends a .300" front sight for the 17L.

The 17L has a sight radius of 8.07".

The 34 has a sight radius of 7.32".

The 17 has a sight radius of 6.49".

The .300" front sight is for their adjustable rear. I think the .300" will work on any size Glock with the adjustable rear, but the .285" will also work on the non-longslide Glocks.

My Glock 34 was shooting very high with the stock sights. I thought purchasing new sights using the recommended height of .245 would straighten me out but that didn't fix my problem. I had to go taller with .275. I believe it depends on how you shoot. Here's a video of my experience.

My Glock 34 was shooting very high with the stock sights. I thought purchasing new sights using the recommended height of .245 would straighten me out but that didn't fix my problem. I had to go taller with .275. I believe it depends on how you shoot. Here's a video of my experience.

Nice video. What ammo were you using? Were you using a sight picture like this:

r4BcV0D.jpg

Edited by ES13Raven

I had Dawson put on a Sevigney sight set when I purchased my G34 from them. They put on a .260 tall front stating that the front sight standard with the Sevigney sights were not accurate when test fired. I tend not to bring the front sight up high enough to be in alignment with the rear sights, causing me to shoot low. The fiber optic screws with me.

• 1 month later...

I went to the Dawson site and verified that the 0.230 front is their recommendation for the 0.250 rear.

That is my concern that their blanket recommendation is .230 for a .250 rear. No matter what the slide length?

When I spoke to them they said to start with the .230" for the G34 and if that didn't work they'd give me a taller sight, as I said it shot dead on for me. On my 17L which has an even longer sight radius I needed a .01" taller front sight than their standard recommended height to shoot to the correct POI.

Update: I spoke to Dawson as well and they do recommend their .230" front with a .250" rear, so I ordered one to test out. The .230 front shoots high for me at 25 yards with AAA ammo. The Sevigny .245 is POA/POI.

• 1 month later...

Update: I spoke to Dawson as well and they do recommend their .230" front with a .250" rear, so I ordered one to test out. The .230 front shoots high for me at 25 yards with AAA ammo. The Sevigny .245 is POA/POI.

I need to adjust my rear sight to the left slightly, but this is bench rested from 25 yards using 147gr at 130pf using the Sevigny rear and Sevigny .245" front:

r5UyLvp.png?1

Edited by ES13Raven