Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you look at the dot or through it?

toothguy

Just curious if you look at the dot or at the target calling the dot to where you are looking. Does this change depending on what event you are shooting, plates vs mover ect.?

Edited by toothguy

I see them as both being in the same place and just match them up. To me that is more about how you think about it than how you see it. Mental versus visual. You can think the dot is in the scope or you can think the dot is on the target.

Edited by Toolguy

I see them as both being in the same place and just match them up. To me that is more about how you think about it than how you see it. Mental versus visual. You can think the dot is in the scope or you can think the dot is on the target.

That's well put :cheers: I see the dot on the target.

The other day I was practicing with a .22 shooting at a paster about 12yrds away. I focused on the paster with the dot bouncing around in the periphery. Some of the shots I really didn't have an awareness of the dot until it blocked my focus on the paster. When I was done all the shots were through or touching the paster.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at the x ring. The only time I'm focused on the dot is at 50 yards when my focus alternates between the dot and the trigger. The thing to remember is, wherever you look the dot will go there. That's why DWFAN shoots all those 8's on the mover. :devil: He's scoring his target as he shoots.

This true 'old fart' has just got new shooting glasses and being able to see the bullet holes is a distraction. Just turn up the dot till it flares and you can't see the holes any more. NZ$300 wasted; Could have done that in the first place.

Coatesy

I tried that for a while. I found that turning up the dot was more of a distraction for me. I'll turn the intensity down as I move back.

Tom, something that helped me with iron sights was getting a pair of +.5 magnification shooting glasses. It's just enough magnification to sharpen the front sight and have the distant target an acceptable blur. For my eyes the +1 magnification makes the distant target to blurry. I told my eye Dr. what I needed the glasses for and he was very helpful. He had a tray of different script lenses and let me go out side to see different distances ect.