Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First stages.

KyalSharpe

Some of the stages looks pretty good, but I'd have to ask you...will you be setting these up for a local match? A lot of props and walls in use...now add 4 or 5 more stages and you have pretty much a few days of setup and teardown.

Other thing that sticks out for me is that some of your targets are near or at the 180. If you put them at 180, expect to get a bunch of DQ's, especially with the new shooters.

Finally, I'm not a fan of symmetrical stages...but they do test the left and right hand shooters equally.

I may use your Open and Smoke em. :cheers: Good job overall.

Some of the stages looks pretty good, but I'd have to ask you...will you be setting these up for a local match? A lot of props and walls in use...now add 4 or 5 more stages and you have pretty much a few days of setup and teardown.

Other thing that sticks out for me is that some of your targets are near or at the 180. If you put them at 180, expect to get a bunch of DQ's, especially with the new shooters.

Finally, I'm not a fan of symmetrical stages...but they do test the left and right hand shooters equally.

I may use your Open and Smoke em. :cheers: Good job overall.

Thanks, most of the stages with close 180 calls are the first ones i done, sought of tried to steer away from it. and the second point, yeah i know, normally we will spend a bit over a day setting up for local matches, so its not overly bad but i see where your coming from. :) thanks for your input

I would agree with Mark R, you could probably use less walls and get the same effect, especially if this is for club match. I have a couple suggestions Boxed In. I don't see what activates the swinger on the left side. It looks like there is a tunnel that might have to be shot out of or at least moved through to get to a final shooting position further down. Tunnels offer a couple of challenges. It is easy for a shooter to sweep themselves moving through. Do you have a plan for the shooters that are not capable of getting down and through the tunnel, what kind of penalty seems fair? They can't go around and shoot the last array with a penalty. Also how does the RO get around the tunnel to continue monitoring the shooter? Best advice is draw them up, build them and see what works.

I would agree with Mark R, you could probably use less walls and get the same effect, especially if this is for club match. I have a couple suggestions Boxed In. I don't see what activates the swinger on the left side. It looks like there is a tunnel that might have to be shot out of or at least moved through to get to a final shooting position further down. Tunnels offer a couple of challenges. It is easy for a shooter to sweep themselves moving through. Do you have a plan for the shooters that are not capable of getting down and through the tunnel, what kind of penalty seems fair? They can't go around and shoot the last array with a penalty. Also how does the RO get around the tunnel to continue monitoring the shooter? Best advice is draw them up, build them and see what works.

Thanks for your advice, the only reason the tunnel is their is to force shooters to shoot the targets that are adjacent to the tunnel through the ports above the tunnel. I am yet to come across a shooter who cannot go through a tunnel. And with the screens, i plan to try and minimize the amount used in further stages i design, thanks for your input :)

As bagdad45 stated, the other thing that you have to consider is the Range Officer that is on the stage with the competitor. For "Boxed In" the RO is going to have a difficult time staying within an arm's length of the shooter once they get past the Cooper Tunnel. Build a path for the RO to see what is going on inside the tunnel while staying safely behind the shooter and not being in the tunnel. The RO can then keep up with them as they exit and continue on through the stage.

The stage also has to be reset. Make sure the other shooters can get to all the targets and steel so they can be pasted and reset easily.

BC

Edited by BillChunn

I'll chime in on stage design. After you have the stage done, look at it from the "How do I walk thru to score the targets" view. If you use walls to separate arrays of targets can the RO and the pasting crew get to the targets or do they have to walk all the way around the array to get to the front side. Things like that can speed up the reset or slow it down and cause reshoots when targets don't get pasted. Try to leave 3 ft. gaps between the ends of walls and the targets so that you and the pasting crew can get to the targets quickly. I have worked other people's stages and thinking about how to score and paste did not cross some of the designers minds.

As Bill says above, make the shooting area/path big enough for the shooter and the RO, or give the RO a way to safely keep up with the shooter. If you have a small narrow hallway, make the sides from mesh walls so that the RO can see the shooter. Or use a waist high rail on one side instead of a solid panel.

Remember, you are designing for at least two, shooter and RO, not just the shooter.

Paul

kyal

I used bend over 12 The center on your first row without the table

I replaced the steel with cardboard.

And on the barrel I cut a vertical 4 inch slot in the front of it and a 4 inch horizontal slot in the real and made the shooters shoot 3 cardboard thru the barrel.

Edited by kellymc

Some very good stages there mate ;). Interesting to hear comments about the job of the RO and patchers. I've done a little bit of stage design myself and that's definitely something I will take into consideration when looking at the stage setup. Keep up the great work.

• 3 weeks later...

Some very good stages there mate ;). Interesting to hear comments about the job of the RO and patchers. I've done a little bit of stage design myself and that's definitely something I will take into consideration when looking at the stage setup. Keep up the great work.

Jase, go back to shooting 115 power factor ;) hahaha, you should put some of your stages up. To everyone else, thanks for your input :)