Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swingers

brongy

Here in South Africa our swingers tend to move them over a circumferential distance of maybe five feet. At 20 feet per second that means a movement back and forth four times every second. Your swingers must be different to our ipsc ones. Are they longer, or differently actuated? I'd be interested in a photo if you've got one, to see the differences

Here is a video of a collapsible/fold-able swinger I made. A guy down in Florida was nice enough to video himself putting it together and then activating it:

Is that capable of 20fps swing? ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in South Africa our swingers tend to move them over a circumferential distance of maybe five feet. At 20 feet per second that means a movement back and forth four times every second. Your swingers must be different to our ipsc ones. Are they longer, or differently actuated? I'd be interested in a photo if you've got one, to see the differences

Here is a video of a collapsible/fold-able swinger I made. A guy down in Florida was nice enough to video himself putting it together and then activating it:

Well...I know your question is meant to be funny, but I tried to remember a little bit of high school physics when I was making them. Like with any pendulum, as you change the length, the period or frequency changes. I though adding more weight would make them swing faster, but KE=PE where 1/2mv squared = mgh, so the masses cancel each other out.

Well...I know your question is meant to be funny, but I tried to remember a little bit of high school physics when I was making them. Like with any pendulum, as you change the length, the period or frequency changes. I though adding more weight would make them swing faster, but KE=PE where 1/2mv squared = mgh, so the masses cancel each other out.
My point was not about your swinger per se. It is that the ZCinZA was asking for a sample that can swing 4x per sec or 20fps as mgardner claimed and you responded with such that did not even took into account what was asked. In retrospect, I dont know if a 20fps swinger ever existed or used in our sport. I havent seen or shot it or any any mover for that matter, yet. In my country the Phils. which is considered the swinger capital of IPSC, where I have shot some level 3 15-20-stage match that had one or two swingers in EVERY stage, I dont remember I encountered such 20fps swinger until now ;) Edited by BoyGlock

. When you Trap/Ambush a moving target you really only have time to break and call one clean shot then the second shot is usually a wild one where you "Hope" that you get a hit.

not if you shoot it when it stops, same with drop outs

Its all about consistency. Go to the range, setup a swinger and shoot it 50 different times using the "Trap/Ambush" method and keep track of your hit quality. Then do the same thing using the "Tracking" method. Tally up the results data and see which method produces the most consistent good results.

I know I have put in the time on the range to PROVE to myself which method works better and more consistent. You can take a short cut and have a solution spoon fed to you, which may or may not be the best solution. Or you can put in the range time to test it all out and know which solution is better than another. Choose the correct path wisely.

the other problem with the trap method is quite often (at least in matches i've shot) the dwell points where the swinger changes direction are covered by hard cover or no shoot targets. so you only can see the swinger during it's full speed movement.

• 1 year later...
On 11/5/2013 at 10:04 AM, MarkCO said:

The method described above is what I did for years. It is called trapping. You will notice that most of the top shooters "track" swingers. It takes some practice and a little dedication, but it is very worth the results.

Tracking is moving the gun with the target and breaking your two shots. The danger zones are at the stop and or disappear. However, this method gives you more time to shoot As instead of winging 2 or 3 shots and hoping they are there. I just started using this method this year and I had mostly As on the swingers at nationals. I had a D that I picked up with an A. In the "trap" method, I would not have picked up those extra points.

It took me some practice with match ammo and maybe 100 rounds to get it down.

I will have to try this