Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swingers

brongy

Took a class with Ben Stoeger this past weekend. The methods Nimitz and Cha-Lee describe sound closest to what we did in that class. You essentially trap and track. You have a look through sight picture so that the fiber dot appears on to superimpose on the target. The first shot goes off about the time (don't want to jerk the trigger) the swinger stops...you try to ambush it, but track it a little to a stop. Then break the second shot as you track the swinger back from the stopping point. Definitely need to find a swinger you can practice with for awhile...after a couple mags worth I really felt the right way to do it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently a c class shooter. Started with the ambush method, but have slowly evolved to tracking. It usually allows more freedom and an earlier opertunity to get both hits. Building my own swinger is rising to the top of my to do list . Any one have building plans we can all copy?

• 4 weeks later...

I agree and since i rarely practice, trapping seems to work just fine. This is one of those rare occasions when im concerned with my splits.

It often seems like an eternity waiting for a swinger to re-present.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great info. I find that I get focused on the swinger itself and don't really see my sights. Needless to say, I have lots of opportunity for improvement! Ha!

I'm also curious if anyone who has built a swinger for use in dry-fire practice would be willing to share either some pics or plans? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Really struggle with these, had got some advise on how to shot a Texas Star and do "ok" with them but not great. Never had any idea the proper way to shot a swinger though, so these comments really help. Might order one and add it to my practice.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have also struggled with swingers, but my only opportunity to shoot them is at matches. I don't have access to an outdoor range or location that I can setup a swinger for live fire practice. I recently built my own swinger for my 1/2 scale targets for my daily dry fire practice which I'm hoping will be helpful. There is some great advice in this thread!

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197928

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

One thing I noticed with any moving target Bianchi included is that if I'm shooting my 40 with 155 grain bullets at 1150 fps the lead is substantially less than if I'm shooting minor 180 grain loads at 750 fps. At 15 yards the difference is enough to put you in the D zone instead of the A. It is important to use the same loads all the time.

Edited by mgardner

At 15y?

With V = 1,150fps. The bullet will strike the target in 15yx3'/1,150fps = 0.039sec

With V = 750fps its 15x3/750 = 0.06sec

Diff = 0.06-0.039 = 0.021sec.

Can a very fast swinger or any moving target move its D to the position of A in that 0.021 time so that your aim at A using the slower slug could hit a D because of its slower velocity?

Assuming the shooter has a +/- constant reaction time, it should cancel out and should not affect the equation.

Edited by BoyGlock

The longer it takes the bullet to get to the target the more time the target has to travel and you need to increase your lead accordingly. Shoot the Bianchi mover with your 9 at 1150 and your 40 at 750 and you'll see the difference. At 15 yards the faster bullet needs a 9 inch lead if the swinger is moving at 20 feet per second and the slower one a 14.5 inch lead.

Going by your data of 20fps swinger, at .021sec (travel time difference btween the 2 slugs at 15y) a point in the target can move 20fps x .021sec = 0.42" only. Neglible by any standard.

You are multiplying by feet not inches. It's .42 feet which is 5.04 inches.

Here in South Africa our swingers tend to move them over a circumferential distance of maybe five feet. At 20 feet per second that means a movement back and forth four times every second. Your swingers must be different to our ipsc ones. Are they longer, or differently actuated? I'd be interested in a photo if you've got one, to see the differences

Here in South Africa our swingers tend to move them over a circumferential distance of maybe five feet. At 20 feet per second that means a movement back and forth four times every second. Your swingers must be different to our ipsc ones. Are they longer, or differently actuated? I'd be interested in a photo if you've got one, to see the differences

During walk thru I usually time a swinger from hit on activator to "dwell" when its ideal to shoot it so I can decide/plan if I can shoot "option" targets in between them. Most average 1-1.5sec with .90 or less as exceptionally fast and 20fps is not common even on horizontal movers and bobbers. It may be the max speed but we usually engage the target at its min. speed as much as possible. Also at 20fps with limited exposure as in swingers and bobbers, Im not sure if I will be able to aim at A with any lead with any consistency. Im only an A class in open and standard in IPSC so i cannot speak for M and Gm. Uspsa movers are the same as Ipsc, afaik.

Here is a video of a collapsible/fold-able swinger I made. A guy down in Florida was nice enough to video himself putting it together and then activating it:

No pro by any means here...but this is what I try to do...

During the walkthrough, have the RO activate the swinger and watch where the target stops before it goes the other way. Then when you go to shoot the stage, remember where that sweet spot was. Activate the target and put your sights in that spot and wait for the target to appear and you should be able to get a shot or two on it...but your sights need to be where the target will stop.

Works for me