Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore on a Nook: Device Sync Screen Auto-populating List

wgnoyes

Bill,

Thank you. A cheap Ipad Gen I is OK for me. I don't upload results to USPSA. we post only to our own website but if I can do away with EzWinScore for the activity report it might be worth the $$. I do notice that when I download the shooters to Ez i seem to lose their classifications. Will an Ipad solve this?

The palm interface coded into ezws doesn't bring over classifications. It never has. Didn't you experience this same problem when you were running palms or did you never bring competitors back over from a master palm?

If the goal is to stop running ezws entirely (mistake in my opinion, but that's me), then android alone won't cut it because it doesn't do anything for generating upload files to USPSA.

Bill,

I honestly can't remember exactly how the Palms worked. I did load the scores up to Ez, downloaded the classification file and am up running.

Since I am not a computer person by any sort of real training or schooling. I have to ask, Why is it a bad idea to build the classification update and activity reporting into Practiscore? Or is it just the Android version and if I get myself an IPad it will work?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a bad idea, it just hasn't made it over to the android side yet. You can generate the activity credit upload file (but NOT the match results upload file) for uspsa.org from the iOS version.

I'm not enamored of the idea of eliminating ezwinscore, however. It's reporting capability is still better than practiscore's, it's squadding drag-and-drop facility beats practiscore's like a drum, and it's better overall for the long-term project of major match registration, which is a months-long exercise. And again, it's the only way we have right now of uploading match results to uspsa.org.

Bill,

I hear and understand what you are saying. But for a club match with 50-100 shooters where we only open registration for a week prior the form we use and Practiscore seems to do what we need. I could actually do the squadding in the excel sheet prior to importing the registration data. And there is at least one program on line that a few clubs around here are using for registration that also handles squadding. My biggest problem with squadding before match day is the number of no-shows. not a great number, but enough to screw us up.

So to my sort of original question. IPad, what do I need? A Gen1 with 16 gig? I will admit to being clueless about apple products. Never even held a Ipad!!

If I get it, using an Ipad as the master makes the walk-on registration easier and I can also use it to scan in each stage as I pass by and have less chance of an Oh $4it moment later.

Well I bring my laptop to the range to run ezws for walk ups after having loading online registrations from shootnscoreit.com the night before. I then provision the master from ezws and the nooks from the master.

An original iPad 1 will do if you can find one, but I'd spend the extra $$ and get a new iPad mini 1st gen. Remember that original iPad's battery is going to be 4 years old when you get it and won't have the life that a new and smaller iPad mini will have.

I use the walkin's for their intended purpose as originally designed for palms. I'd much rather just assign someone an existing walkin slot in the match rather than have the guy added 6 times, once for each stage, which to me is just asking for trouble. And yeah, I'm not willing to close the books on ezws either until all it's functionality is duplicated in the replacement system, and we're not there yet.

Our current procedure is to download the registration from Formstack, Massage the information a bit, we have several columns that don't apply to the scoring of the match, i.e., New Shooter and Club Member, then we add a column where we check you in as paid. This gets printed out and then we delete a few columns to leave only what Practiscore requires and load the master nook. We don't run this up to EzWinScore until after the match. I am thinking that I will get the registration file ready and instead of loading it the night before, I'll type in the walk-ons into my laptop (or the Ipad if go that way) and then load that to the nook at the range. I can do it with a Card or wireless. Might save me a few hassles. I could even do the check off on the laptop instead of paper, then just copy the relevant colums to a clean sheet and import that into the nooks. Have to try that maybe tonite.

We use EzWinScore for only two reasons. It makes a nice output file for posting to our website and it generates the activity report and classifier report. I suppose if USPSA and Parctiscore worked it out, we could eliminate the need for Ez. We need teh activity report, classification update, a simple htm output for posting to non-uspsa websites, maybe a text file and of course the web file to post to USPSA's website.

It really would be nice to only need one platform to run a match.

uspsa and ezws give you a way of verifying your uspsa#'s and expiration dates that ps hasn't even considered yet. The registration verification tool as illustrated takes the upload_squadding.txt file as generated out of ezws (ostensibly for use with uspsa.org's self-service squadding) and runs a name, uspsa#, and expiration check against the competitors registered in your match. This is essential for major match registration. In fact, I should probably open a problem ticket for a feature request to generate this same file out of ps or provide something else that duplicates this feature.

post-2179-0-90282900-1396100899_thumb.pn

Now as match results go, PS generates the hands-down best looking match results in the business that you can easily upload and link to on your website.

Edited by wgnoyes