Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI mag base plate ?

tk4

Does anyone make a STI mag base plate that would make a 128mm mag nearly 140mm length?

It would be nice to be able to extend the shorter mags length for practice or whatever, and then be able to put the shorter base plate on for carry or IDPA use.

I'm not worried about the extra capacity just the extended base plate for easier seating while using a large magwell.

Any ideas?

Go with the Grams 11mm and it will get you very close, if not right on the money. The only problem you might have is the "salt shaker" effect. You have to tune the mag some or get the spacer that takes up the space at the bottom of the mag. I think Arredondo makes those. Try it first and then go from there. Is it an STI or SV mag? I know you said STI but some people use that interchangeably with each other.

STI mag.

I would like to do this with both 9mm and 40 mags. Would the spacer at the bottom of the mag you refer to keep me from needing a different length 9mm spacer(spacer to move the 9mm rounds forward)?

No, that is for ribs on the sides. You might need a spacer but some claim they have run theirs fine without it. Again, try it first and if it runs, don't mess with it. One thing, if you are loading long (>1.165), you have a good chance of not needing the spacer. If you do need one, get the steel Hardy spacer, it's the best.