Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium Bolt Carrier

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You bring up a very valid point though, it seems more and more people MUST HAVE gear because its the latest or someone said it was the best, and not because they will gain or benefit from it, to me thats,........silly.

Traper

A JP rifle can't help most shooters or an infinity pistol either but people buy them all the time because they look and feel and shoot awesome. If this carrier looks or feels better than a mil spec carrier people are gonna want one. Heck the average shooter won't ever wear out a case of ammo much less a bolt carrier. My entire safe is full if the latest and greatest stuff and so is my garage and my house cause that's the fun stuff to buy.

I'm guess I'm just not into antiquing like you an Curt I guess. :)

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Antiquing?? Well "Jessie" you are as well! you just don't realize that you are merely fixing up a rifle designed and basically the same as the one made in 1958...back before even I had a BB gun! If you were really into the lattest and greatest wouldn't you be hot rodding a SCAR? :):P

There are around 30 grades of commercial Ti available fellas. Surely one of them can handle a little rubbing.

Not without some serious treatment. And a coating is not really enough either. Sure, it can be done, question becomes is the minimal increase in performance worth the extra scratch, which is all Kurt and Trapr are really pointing out.

Would you rather run a 4 ounce carrier with a 4 ounce buffer when the BCG costs $600, or run a 6 ounce carrier with a 2 ounce buffer when the BCG costs $300? When some of the top Pros are already running 40 grain NBTs at 2300 fps, seems that the combination of the parts are working.

If I "need" 75% of the gas that comes through the gas port to run a standard carrier, and 60% to run a JP LM carrier, might I need 30% to run a 4 ounce carrier with the bunny fart load? Now back out the math and figure out your margin of error and how that affects the recoil impulse. What if my gas requirement increases 5% because it is cold, because the chamber is dirty, what if I add both? Remember, energy goes as velocity squared, but the mass is only linear. So add in your safety margin and then figure out if 2.5 ounces more out of a carrier (or a buffer) is actually worth it for a general 3Gun rifle set-up.

People just need to understand that the entirety of the parts combined with the load is a system that should be optimized. For a general 3Gun rifle, not too sure. For a select combination of parts with bunny fart loads to run on the 3GN Pro Tour matches tuned up right, this new BCG might very well be the hot ticket to gain some part of, or even a whole second per stage. But I would not want to run that same rifle with 77s at 2700, heck not even 55s at 3100 fps.

Antiquing?? Well "Jessie" you are as well! you just don't realize that you are merely fixing up a rifle designed and basically the same as the one made in 1958...back before even I had a BB gun! If you were really into the lattest and greatest wouldn't you be hot rodding a SCAR? :):P

Kurt you are correct! I think the ACR is newer though so I'm gonna go with that!

There are around 30 grades of commercial Ti available fellas. Surely one of them can handle a little rubbing.

Not without some serious treatment. And a coating is not really enough either. Sure, it can be done, question becomes is the minimal increase in performance worth the extra scratch, which is all Kurt and Trapr are really pointing out.

Would you rather run a 4 ounce carrier with a 4 ounce buffer when the BCG costs $600, or run a 6 ounce carrier with a 2 ounce buffer when the BCG costs $300? When some of the top Pros are already running 40 grain NBTs at 2300 fps, seems that the combination of the parts are working.

If I "need" 75% of the gas that comes through the gas port to run a standard carrier, and 60% to run a JP LM carrier, might I need 30% to run a 4 ounce carrier with the bunny fart load? Now back out the math and figure out your margin of error and how that affects the recoil impulse. What if my gas requirement increases 5% because it is cold, because the chamber is dirty, what if I add both? Remember, energy goes as velocity squared, but the mass is only linear. So add in your safety margin and then figure out if 2.5 ounces more out of a carrier (or a buffer) is actually worth it for a general 3Gun rifle set-up.

People just need to understand that the entirety of the parts combined with the load is a system that should be optimized. For a general 3Gun rifle, not too sure. For a select combination of parts with bunny fart loads to run on the 3GN Pro Tour matches tuned up right, this new BCG might very well be the hot ticket to gain some part of, or even a whole second per stage. But I would not want to run that same rifle with 77s at 2700, heck not even 55s at 3100 fps.

I think I need fuel injection on my rifle too!

All this math and spelling hurts my head. And I don't even want to get involved in discussion on different types of Titanium because I have enough trouble with the difference between ferrous and nonferrous metals. I'm just going to get back to practicing....

Humor aside, I think it's admirable that guys like RB have the knowledge and desire to apply it for things like this. Otherwise, we'd all still be shooting M1 Garands, 1897 pump guns and 1911 Governments. Of course, that would be cool too.

That's some serious bling. I think I'd get one and thread a gold chain thru it and wear it around my neck.

Seriously though I also played with ti carriers and was dissapointed for the same reason others are alluding too. I thought if the bolt carrier could be sleeved with a thin ring of steel where the bolt (rings) ride in a similar manor to sleeving an engine block, these things would be great. It would probably be way more expensive but it would fix the problem.

Ahhh....I couldn't remeber the ACR Jesse....it,s my antique brain you see! :)

Mark, I may not be able to spell "metallurgy"....but I can spell "Zymurgy"....which is almost as important!

A little brain teaser for you guys. What operating systems did Stoner copy with his direct gas impingement system and the rotary bolt...I'll give you a starting place both were late 30,s early 40,s designs....Hows that for antiquing?

The orriginal AR-10 had some Ti in it. After all it was made by an Aircraft Company

A little brain teaser for you guys. What operating systems did Stoner copy with his direct gas impingement system and the rotary bolt...I'll give you a starting place both were late 30,s early 40,s designs....Hows that for antiquing?

M1941 Johnson for the bolt I believe.

Not really. If it were out there Caspian would have found it for their frames. A TI Caspian frame has to be "carbidized" or accu-railed if you want it to live any time at all.

Mark, I used to hang around with Richard Butell's son. He was the President of Fairchild. His son had a lot of the prototypes from Armalite, and I got to shoot quite a few of them. They had a magazine fed semi-auto shotgun, that was pretty cool and I have shot the AR-16 which was a varient of the AR-18 only in .308! and of course the A-5. cool stuff!

Rboyes!!! YESS!!! it was the Johnson!! Now what aboutthe impingment system??? anyone??

Mark, I used to hang around with Richard Butell's son. He was the President of Fairchild. His son had a lot of the prototypes from Armalite, and I got to shoot quite a few of them. They had a magazine fed semi-auto shotgun, that was pretty cool and I have shot the AR-16 which was a varient of the AR-18 only in .308! and of course the A-5. cool stuff!

Rboyes!!! YESS!!! it was the Johnson!! Now what aboutthe impingment system??? anyone??

MAS-40?

I think I need fuel injection on my rifle too!

How about an auto-cooler? I designed a little unit that goes on the handguard. Everytime you pull the trigger, a vibration switch triggers a solenoid that delivers a sub-zero blast of cold air into the barrel and BCG via a one-way valve. Drain a 60 rounder with the barrel temps of a 5 rounder. :roflol:

Edited by MarkCO

MAS-40?

Close. It was the Swedish Ljungman Gevar 42 which was later copied into the French 1944 and 1949 MAS. Kurt, do you need my address for my prize? ?

Yep Mark I will send you one of our Red Neck Tactical Rapid Release Tabs and a sticker. P.M. me that address! :)

You too Rboyes!

Yes I am serious!

Edited by kurtm

Really, no really, why is it that geologist and engineers have to trivialize big words? If you have to go there... Pyrometallurgical :goof:

Something tells me that Mr. T will post a new pic of the bcg fully assembled and ready to run very soon! Any word about who made the bolt?

Edited by Sterling White

Not real sure, just kept it well oiled and gave it a good cleaning every other year......running a carbine length gas system to boot. But I have found most of what you read about what runs and doesnt run on par with witchcraft and snake oil though....I have a remmy 1100 comp master that ran perfectly also....