Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium Bolt Carrier

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know much about this thing. I found it on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/BOOMFAB

3.8oz, stripped

Constructed of an exclusive grade of high strength titanium.

Proprietary heat treating and surface hardening processes result in an extremely durable carrier with a long service life.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

You know the engineer on the project, and yet you don't know much about it and found it on face book?????

I would imagine that it is a varient of Ti6Al4V alloy but unless the maker has access to a vacuum melt facility I doubt it is "exclusive". It sounds like a great product however and I will be watching with interest! Sound,s like R.B. might just have a winner here!

Edited by kurtm

Jesse, give me a P.m. and I will tell you why, I don't really want to bore folks with metalurgy, but the ones that were made before lasted around 2000 +/- rounds and then wouldn't seal. Everyone thought it was because they erroded or galled but they were Ion Bonded and that wasn't the case. The TiN coating "may" help but it depends on which " exclusive material" they are using. The best one for this aplication would be in the family of Ti-5Al-2.5Sn, but the one most used due to machineability is Ti6Al4V, this alloy is also heat treatable, but that isn't why they fail...anyway if interested give a shout.

Edited by kurtm

The JP lm bolt carrier weighs in around 6.3 oz while the PM ti carrier came in around 5.1 oz I believe. I purchased one at the Tulsa 3G Nats a few years back and played with it for about a year then I gave it to someone else to play with. It worked for a while then I started getting some weird bugs in the gun. Didn't really understand the problem so I decided to leave the rifle building to JP and focus my efforts on working the bugs out of reloads.

Edited by Sterling White

too light can lead to what RCI found out about lite weight Benelli bolts.

Is it just me or does it seem that if you stay in this game long enough you get to see everything come back around again, and again, and again.

there really must be a reason why things don't last, but I think our flow of shooters thru the sport keeps old ideas good and bad,......alive.

In the last few years, I've been told TwinS will never be faster than weakhand, you can't make a removable CF handguard, you can't make a gas block that does not leak, you can't make a light, quiet and efficient muzzle break, so more power to RB, I hope it works.

We have seen a few new BCGs this year, and some pretty serious failures due to same when the producers did not understand what they were actually doing. That said there is a BCG out there that is lighter than the JP that has a lot of rounds and a unique combination of materials that is still going after 10K rounds.

The people who can benefit from a BCG lighter than about 7 ounces are not numerous. Fewer still the number of people who will be able to develop the operating system parameters and load to function reliably with longevity into the 10K plus range. That does not mean it is still not cool to try, but once you get into the formula racing stuff, the razors edge is sharper.

Metallurgy has two "L"s. :)

Edited by MarkCO

Mark, please do not take what I posted as saying that it was a stupid or worthless endeavor. merely that sometimes there is a reason why you have to stop where you do, and that we do seem to have cyclic ideas that come and go. You bring up a very valid point though, it seems more and more people MUST HAVE gear because its the latest or someone said it was the best, and not because they will gain or benefit from it, to me thats,........silly. I have numerous people that call me wanting my stroke mod for Benelli pump guns and yet they have no idea what they will be getting, some even post or call me saying it doesn't do what they thought it was supposed to do and they're pissed. Its because they didn't know what what they wanted or needed, just that someone said "hey, this is cool you should get this". i'm sorry but thats silly!!!!

Trapr is spelled with one vowel, :bow:

too light can lead to what RCI found out about lite weight Benelli bolts.

Is it just me or does it seem that if you stay in this game long enough you get to see everything come back around again, and again, and again.

there really must be a reason why things don't last, but I think our flow of shooters thru the sport keeps old ideas good and bad,......alive.

School me about what happened with rci please.

I promise that I could make one and it would likely outlast every other part on the rifle about 4 times over. But it would also cost 6 times what a new JP rifle with all the bells and whistles does too. It's just a matter of what coatings you put on and where. All it takes is money. I can't see titanium working for any time at all without a hardface coating that has some thickness to it on every wear surface. TI is strong but it's not real hard and has crappy wear properties that Kurt alluded to and that applies to all grades generally available, just to varying degrees. It's fantastic stuff for structural strength applications where light weight is needed even in extreme high heat, but not so much for wear.