Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about going Revolver.... thoughts?

skdmrklcy

Short Version:

So if you were advising someone getting started in USPSA would you dissuade them from going Revolver? Assuming no matter which way they go they have to buy a new Gun.

Long Version:

I have shot one actual match and a few "outlaw" IDPA/USPSA style things, and I am planning to get a lot more involved next season since no one really shoots around here in the Winter. I have ended up in a situation in that I have no guns that are really ideal for any division. (A 1911 not SS Legal, a M&P not Production Legal, and a Smith 681... I just can't see the sights...)

So I have been going back and forth for awhile on what I really want to shoot. So far I keep getting drawn to revolver just because I enjoy shooting them, but it seems their is almost no revolver participation at the local matches... not sure I want to be the new guy... and the revolver guy.

Also with the rule change now I am not even sure what I should be looking at equipment wise. Production holds almost no interest for me, so pretty much looking at a .45 1911 for single stack or a revolver.. I could brake down and sell my new custom 1911 that is not legal... but trying to avoid that.

Why isn't your 1911 legal? Can you do something cheaply to make it legal? Can you sell/trade the other 2 for enough for a revo? Just a few things to think about.

Richard

PS: Seems like you are leaning heavily toward revo! I say go for it.

I have enough Cash to pick up either a basic 1911 or a Revolver.. assuming I need no custom work to start... and the required gear that is needed.

The 1911 I have is a Full Rail Dust Cover so it is out, I also would not want to sell the other two, as I am attached.

I am leaning that way just not sure how smart it is going to be just getting started.

I have the same thing up here where im the only revolver shooter if im lucky maybe one more shows up now and then.But if you really like shooting a revolver then go for it . Im happy shooting matches as long im having fun and I feel I have shot the match better then the last one .

"...So far I keep getting drawn to revolver just because I enjoy shooting them..."

^^^This is what matters.

I'm fixing to shoot a revolver after this spring.

Why? Just because I enjoy shooting them. :cheers:

I currently shoot Limited-10 with a Glock 22, but with the addition on 8 shot minor in revolver, I purchased a S&W 627-5 PC. I see that class growing, since it opens it up to a lot of ICORE shooters. Might as well get on the bandwagon......

There has been only one revolver shooter here for the past year, and even he swaps between revo and limited 10 with his 1911, its actually been really supportive for him and everyone bugs him to fiddle with his gun and gear. I'm just about to shoot my first actual match in revolver, aside from idpa classifier, should be interesting. I only recently found out I really like revolvers, and I'm pretty sure I'm hooked. I'd say get the revolver and shoot the heck out of it, you can always use your 1911 in limited 10 if you want to try something different.

Go revolver. I finally bought a 625 and the gear, and started shooting USPSA late last summer. I've been the only revolver shooter at one match, and one of 4 or 5 at the other two I shot, and everyone has been really supportive. I'm not competitive, but I am sure having a good time. Lots of folks have asked me about my gun and gear; it's been a great way to meet people.

Just shot a match this weekend that was comprised of some of the stages from production nationals. Most of them were extremely revolver un-friendly. A couple more were better in that there was a way to make them revolver friendly. And that is the hook on revolver. Getting good enough to make tough shots to save a reload every once in awhile. I still have a ways to go. A long ways.

But seriously, revolver is a hoot as is most who shoot them. Accuracy, accuracy accuracy. If you want to take it serious start with an 8 shot 627. You'll be adding a 625 to shoot major at some point, but start with the 8 shot. It's a whole lot easier to figure a stage plan and you'll probably progress much faster because of that and the lower non-existent recoil from shooting minor which will get you better hits. Shooting .45 major isn't anything like a .44 mag but it's no joke either. You don't have springs and such like with your 1911 and they are even more difficult to master. If I ever get good enough to finish in the top half of the overall I'll die a happy man. Just jump in you'll have a blast.

Edited by Shadowrider

Well I'm not going to say don't buy a revo. But with a few ten round magazines you would fit right in to limited 10. A couple extra rounds and major scoring doesn't suck.

You could try this right now without buying any new gun- maybe a good way to get your feet wet while you are making up your mind.

Eric

Edited by eric4069

Can a V-Comp be used minus the Comp? Just curious mostly looking at a Pro 4" for cost.

What about a 9mm Conversion? Or is that just a bad idea? I have seen them and people claim they work... but since I see it hardly at all here on searches.

Can a V-Comp be used minus the Comp? Just curious mostly looking at a Pro 4" for cost.

What about a 9mm Conversion? Or is that just a bad idea? I have seen them and people claim they work... but since I see it hardly at all here on searches.

The V-Comp comes with two end caps, one has slits to work as a compensator and one is just a protective cap. I would just shoot short or long colt and not worry about the 9 mm conversion.

I did't know if the V-Comp with the cap not the comp would still be allowed. Looking at the 627 V-Comp not the 625.

I have missed just about every 627 5" gun by a few mins it seems.

In USPSA a V Comp with the blank cap would be good to go. Just watch the cap for loosening, right Cliff.

Go with the 627. Then you can shoot it in USPSA and ICORE too! Many times, the stages in USPSA are unfriendly to a 6-shot revolver, but an 8-shot is perfect!

I recently shot an ICORE and USPSA match at our club using my S&W Model 10. I found the ICORE stages to be less 6-shot friendly than the USPSA stages. On each of the ICORE stages the target arrays consisted of 4 targets each which required a reload on each array. I didn't mind though as it made for plenty of reloading practice.