Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Costly Lessons you get on the cheap.

t1nm4n

There are some lessons that you learn as you shoot and watch other and there are some you learn the hard way, for instance, these nice Kydex holsters tend to loosen up over time as they break in I'm told. Well I only learned that after feeling a heavy object bounce off my leg and when I looked down there was this shiny yet dirty pistol facing down range, I'm just happy the safety stayed put and all that was hurt was my pride and a $40 lesson. There are at least a 1000 topics about this I'm sure, but I dropped the ball and didn't do the homework I should, I'm glad it worked out the way it did and no one was hurt, been in the shooting sports for 25 years and this is a first for me, not that I haven't seen it done before, but when you get complacent you tend to overlook the tiny things, and plastic holsters are new to me as I'm from CAS so disaster averted but lesson learned.

Kydex holsters tend to loosen up over time as they break in I'm told.

I checked mine before my match on Sunday, and sure enough it had loosed up. I originally set it up so that when my holster and unloaded gun are inverted, it wouldn't fall out - the drop test (??). Tried it before the match and it was loose enough to slide out as soon as past horizontal. That's practice over six months and maybe six matches. I've added to the pre-match & maintenance routine, thx!

Yes...although I will say I was not a big fan of the ALS (tried it first). I ended up settling on the 5.11 thumb drive which I like a lot.

The front strap of the holster on the ALS is nearly to the top of the rear sight, which I didn't like. On the 5.11, it comes up to the breech face IIRC, or slightly below.

This was for my G34

Edited by Onagoth

Kydex holsters tend to loosen up over time as they break in I'm told.

I checked mine before my match on Sunday, and sure enough it had loosed up. I originally set it up so that when my holster and unloaded gun are inverted, it wouldn't fall out - the drop test (??). Tried it before the match and it was loose enough to slide out as soon as past horizontal. That's practice over six months and maybe six matches. I've added to the pre-match & maintenance routine, thx!

Anything to help someone not go through the humiliation and I'll be honest, the fear that I felt looking down at my pistol and knowing what could of happened, I was more than happy to put my guns up for the rest of the day. I never did understand the Match DQ, but I'm glad it was there, cause I would of been a wreck if I tried to reshoot.

• 3 months later...

I had a similar experience with mag pouches. Sprint from start to shooting position, got some good hits, move to second position and start my reload.................with my mags 35 feet behind on the ground. The RO was a pretty good sport, he let me back up and retreive them and finish the stage.

• 4 weeks later...