Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 "4th Annual" Nordic Comp Tactical Shotgun Championship

I have heard many good things said about the match this weekend, it makes it worthwhile when I know that it was enjoyed by most of the competators. Thank you all for attending. I will not bore you here with a lengthy, recap, if you want to take a look at one it is here, http://www.mn3gungroup.org/?p=865. Thanks to all the sponsors who saw the value provideing support for the Nordic Component Tactical Shotgun Match.

Jay

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this match was an overwellming success. Thanks to all of the competitors, RO's, Range Staff, FLSC, sponsor's, and Jay and Jomar. It couldn't have happened without everyone showing up. My favorite part of the match all took place after the match was complete. The Task Force Dagger guys handing the certificate to Adam Maxwell was very cool, and Nathan and I taking some of the High School Trap team out to stage #9 so they and their coaches could see another side to shotgun shooting was fun.

In 2013, after the match was over, I asked that people contact me via PM to discuss anything that they DIDN'T like about the match. Don't get me wrong, talking about the good stuff really makes this all worth while, but in order for the match to keep improving sometimes we need to meet face to face with problems that came up and form a plan to correct those problems. After last years match, the #1 concern was plates that spun but didn't fall off of the stakes. That issue was corrected and made for a better overall match this year.

Please feel free to contact Jay, Jomar, or myself, and let me know of anything that you didn't like about the match. I would prefer that this be done through PM's not because I am afraid of facing an issue, it is just that I was always taught to praise in public, critique in private.

I think this match was an overwellming success. Thanks to all of the competitors, RO's, Range Staff, FLSC, sponsor's, and Jay and Jomar. It couldn't have happened without everyone showing up. My favorite part of the match all took place after the match was complete. The Task Force Dagger guys handing the certificate to Adam Maxwell was very cool, and Nathan and I taking some of the High School Trap team out to stage #9 so they and their coaches could see another side to shotgun shooting was fun.

In 2013, after the match was over, I asked that people contact me via PM to discuss anything that they DIDN'T like about the match. Don't get me wrong, talking about the good stuff really makes this all worth while, but in order for the match to keep improving sometimes we need to meet face to face with problems that came up and form a plan to correct those problems. After last years match, the #1 concern was plates that spun but didn't fall off of the stakes. That issue was corrected and made for a better overall match this year.

Please feel free to contact Jay, Jomar, or myself, and let me know of anything that you didn't like about the match. I would prefer that this be done through PM's not because I am afraid of facing an issue, it is just that I was always taught to praise in public, critique in private.

I appreciated the heck outta those non spinning plates! The tabs you guys added are great. Big enough to do the job yet small enough not to cause the plates to stay put like other designs I've shot.

Good work on that one!

I didn't like......... that I wasn't able to make it this year. How you gonna fix that for next year?? ;)

I will see you all next year for sure. Sounds like it was a hoot..

Mike

I've been trying to rack my brain trying to come up with something that could be improved upon at the match and I'm drawing a blank. Everything ran smoothly from the shooter's meeting to the posting of the final scores. The match booklet told me when and where to be, there was water on each stage, and everyone was friendly.

Now that I've attended my first Nordic match, I know I will make it an absolute priority to never miss one.

I want to try and increase the numbers in pump and open. Open is tough because of the specialty guns. As a limited shooter in 3 gun I have taken the brunt of poorly managed prize tables which focus heavily on tac ops more times than I like to temember. We had 96 tactical shooters, 27 pump and 16 open. I had 20 guns. I took 20 percent of the participant division numbers and tabled the guns there first. Open got 3, pump got 5, and by percent tac should have gotten 19 but we had 12 left. We had many other high value prizes to distribute including scopes, xrail, certificares, and more. My point is if you shoot a less populated division I am trying real hard to take care of those shooters and will continue to do so. If you read this and have another method of dividing the table let me know, I would be interested.

Jay

I want to try and increase the numbers in pump and open. Open is tough because of the specialty guns. As a limited shooter in 3 gun I have taken the brunt of poorly managed prize tables which focus heavily on tac ops more times than I like to temember. We had 96 tactical shooters, 27 pump and 16 open. I had 20 guns. I took 20 percent of the participant division numbers and tabled the guns there first. Open got 3, pump got 5, and by percent tac should have gotten 19 but we had 12 left. We had many other high value prizes to distribute including scopes, xrail, certificares, and more. My point is if you shoot a less populated division I am trying real hard to take care of those shooters and will continue to do so. If you read this and have another method of dividing the table let me know, I would be interested.

Jay

Jay,

As an Open Class shooter, I think that you did a fantastic job on the prize table. Regardless of where you finished, there were some great prizes to be had. Keep up the good work, can't wait for next year!

Jay

I'm gonna try pump and open next year.

equity on a prize table is very difficult to do, but it can be done. Jay i think you did an outstanding job on prize distribution, many shooters think of only the "guns" when they look at prize distribution but there are many other high value prizes out there. I know I have walked by guns, for scopes, suppressors, and other stuff I needed for projects. But the guns always seem to be eye catching items that others use to compare prize tables.

On the subject of prize tables, i'd rather shoot a really good match, with outstanding stages and real shooting skillset challenges, without a prize table than one with little to no thought given on the stages and shooting challenges with a good prize table. Which is one of the reasons why we "RNT" go to Europe to shoot many matches, the other big reason is we have lots of good friends and consequently always have a really good time.

Trapr

equity on a prize table is very difficult to do, but it can be done. Jay i think you did an outstanding job on prize distribution, many shooters think of only the "guns" when they look at prize distribution but there are many other high value prizes out there. I know I have walked by guns, for scopes, suppressors, and other stuff I needed for projects. But the guns always seem to be eye catching items that others use to compare prize tables.

Agreed. I think the prize tables seemed pretty balanced regardless of division.

Our videos from the match:

For the record, I accepted the certificate as a representative of the JRK match admin team on behalf of the Kirkwolds who were unable to send their own delegation.

As for next year, I think the slug and buckshot targets should be more challenging. Especially the slugs...those were chip shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, and you should add really tight no shoots to all of the birdshot targets, and..............

lets make it more stages and more rounds and lots tougher shots and........................sorry sarcasm button was stuck!!!!!

trapr

Watching some of the videos from the match and looks like a lot of fun. Would like to get in to this match next year, working with new shotgun now.

Question on stage where you picked your shells off barrels as you went. How did open division shooters with box feed shotgun handle their shells? Just place magazine at each barrel?

Barry

For the record, I accepted the certificate as a representative of the JRK match admin team on behalf of the Kirkwolds who were unable to send their own delegation.

Thanks for stepping up to receive the certificate. The presentation was really not part of match, but since the TFD guys asked, and since you and the other JRK Match Admin Team were present, and since we were at the same range and in the same company of a lot of those that attended the JRK match, we thought it would make for a nice opportunity to recognize all involved.

As for next year, I think the slug and buckshot targets should be more challenging. Especially the slugs...those were chip shots

I agree with you that they should be more challenging. We so much wanted them to be. We found that on top of the limited types of targets we had available and what type of ammo they can take, we also had to take into consideration what targets would fall if hit with buck shot as oppose to bird shot with a tighter choke, what calibration standard would we use if we set targets to fall only with heavier loads, and what targets would survive if inadvertently shot with with buck or slugs on the same stage. The biggest factor we had of course was that the slugs and buck shots could only be used in the competition bays. We had to make do with the limited space those bays had to offer. So we thought that it would be best to mix them up in stages with other challenges to go with just those shots. Sorry that you found them to be "chip shots".

Watching some of the videos from the match and looks like a lot of fun. Would like to get in to this match next year, working with new shotgun now.

Question on stage where you picked your shells off barrels as you went. How did open division shooters with box feed shotgun handle their shells? Just place magazine at each barrel?

Barry

Correct sir.

Jomar next year mix you should mix all three ( slugs, buck and shot ) on one stage. With the pallets, gas mask and outhouse.

It's stages like the outhouse that make shot gunning so much fun. Never loaded off my belt when it wasn't on my body. Great idea!

Jomar next year mix you should mix all three ( slugs, buck and shot ) on one stage. With the pallets, gas mask and outhouse.

And they call my stage designs evil?

We have to keep it real for those of us average folks who are not "pros" or otherwise "high speed dead-on" shooters. We've never liked a stage that has such a difficulty level that the average shooter can't make some of the shots or burns a whole lot of time making them, nor do we like how some of these shots are the maker or breaker of some shooters. All shots should be made doable by all shooters, it is how fast they make them and the manner they engage them that should make the difference.

We try to design our stages to be with options and some different little challenges mixed in, but more importantly with the average shooters in mind. And if it means the lack of challenge for some folks, so be it. Hopefully those folks find the other things mixed in the stage to be challenging.

Finally got a free moment and wanted to say thanks for the awesome match. Jay, Jomar, Brian, Ken and all the RO's and staff, way to go. This match keeps getting better each year and its obvious why, dedication, effort and consistency! It's really nice having each target worth the same point value at each stage! Thanks to all the sponsors who support this match, its worth investing in for sure!

We really enjoyed shooting with squad two and seeing all our friends from the North Country again!