Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
mioduz

Problem with reliable Feeding in a Brand New 9mm 1911 Build

I have built several guns before but can't get past this issue on this gun. Its a 1911 Single stack 9mm with a Bull Barrel from KKM, STI Frame, STI Slide, Most of the fire control is STI as well, using a Wilson Combat Mag.

Problem:
With slow deliberate fire where I hold the trigger back through recoil the gun fails to feed nearly 100% of the time. The majority of the time the round is still left in the mag, sometimes it makes it up the ramp and into the chamber a bit, but never fully. If I fire quickly as in shooting "double taps" drills there is no feed issue (shot 50 rnds flawlessly).
My inclination is the the disconnect is the problem. I have polished the the trigger bow, flat on triggerbow side of disconnect, flat on disconnect that contacts sear spring, and the top of the disconnect that rides against the slide.
All polished to mirror shine. And a light oil on reassembly. Any other advice???

The disconnector might be too long. Take the slide off and see what it looks like when you hold the trigger back vs when you don't.

The other thing it sounds like is, when you are in slow fire mode, limp wristing the pistol. When you are shooting fast your grip might be firmer. Just a thought.

Also you say it is new, how many rounds down the pipe? May not quite be broken in.

SOLUTION

Problem was the trigger over travel backed its way out. When the Disconnect moved down as the slide cylcled backward, the trigger moved back furthor, and somehow jammed up the disconnect.