Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjusting your Game

Do you do this? At any match level. Do you really shoot the same at every match by concentrating on your own game?

Your competitor's wheels just came off at a stage, at that point do you take it down a notch? Thinking " Ok,now I'm ahead, ill just cruise it , take no risks"

Or your wheels just came off OR your loads didn't make Major. And now you're soooo behind that "what the heck, full throttle !!"

I like to squad with my competitors whenever possible. But sometimes we get assigned. And at big matches we get to see day one results ( do you change your game from here? ) I noticed that I do it. And it works for me than it don't. I remember discussing this with another shooter just recently, but his mentality is different. He prefers to mind his own shooting and not others.

He prefers to mind his own shooting and not others.

That's me too. Ultimately, I'm competing against myself. I usually try to avoid squading with competitive people who are close to my skill level because it throws my mental game off. I have enough trouble clearing my mind and focusing on the shooting as it is.

Edited by JonSnow

With solid advice, even some texts, from two of my good friends who are GMs, I was successful at shooting my own game at my first Nationals. I had some elevated heart rate anxiety at the beginning. I tried to keep repeating to myself the things I needed to focus on and told myself each stage was just another stage at a local match. The two stages where I tried to "gain" something were literally my two worst stages of the entire match. Each time I pulled it back a tad and went out and shot the next stages very well, even one all As.

I almost always shoot my game my way at my pace, the one time I changed it up was after zeroing my third stage at an area match (equipment issue), after the zero I just shot as fast as I could go, not to try to get back into contention but because it was fun and I knew I was out of it for the match so I had nothing more to loose.

Mike

Any time spent focusing on what others are doing is time you are not spending focusing on what you are doing. I shoot my best when I am totally focused on what I am doing, and not the outcome but the process. Your performance should not be dependent on or change based on what others are doing, this is not team sport ...

Any time spent focusing on what others are doing is time you are not spending focusing on what you are doing. I shoot my best when I am totally focused on what I am doing, and not the outcome but the process. Your performance should not be dependent on or change based on what others are doing, this is not team sport ...

I don't disagree one bit with the philosophies of the replies here. The OP does not mention to what happens only to ones competitor, but also to self. We are not robots here. We all see what goes on.

I force myself not to see what's going on with others ... Unless I'm scoring I honestly could never tell you how anyone on my squad shot a stage because I'm simply not paying attention to them. I don't want to know how they did for many reasons, most important of which would mean I'm focused on the results not the process of just shooting well

• 2 weeks later...

I don't disagree one bit with the philosophies of the replies here. The OP does not mention to what happens only to ones competitor, but also to self. We are not robots here.

How would you shoot if you were a robot? :)

I almost always shoot my game my way at my pace, the one time I changed it up was after zeroing my third stage at an area match (equipment issue), after the zero I just shot as fast as I could go, not to try to get back into contention but because it was fun and I knew I was out of it for the match so I had nothing more to loose.

Mike

I've done that or just shot not worrying about anything, pressures of doing well. It was great. 1st. Stage = 3 mikes and a FTE. So I decided its over, now it is time to have some fun. I ended up 1st in C limited and it was a sectonal match. You never know. I'm sure if I shot my usual careful match results would have been different. I learned more that day than in any one day of shooting so far.

I don't disagree one bit with the philosophies of the replies here. The OP does not mention to what happens only to ones competitor, but also to self. We are not robots here.

How would you shoot if you were a robot? :)

If I were a robot, I'd shoot like RoboCop.

The first thing my coach told me was to avoid the scoreboards until the end.The other guys are your fellow competitors.We all compete against the same course to the best of our ability.Nothing more.

Edited by us820

I shoot against the stage, not my competitors. However, as a goal, I like to look at someone who is better than I am and attempt to beat them on paper. I was pretty disappointed at our last club match, I felt I did pretty well, but the guy I hope to beat someday got DQ'd. I want my competitors to do well so if or when I do beat them it feels like more of an accomplishment for myself.

Edited by TroyB

• 2 years later...

If there are 100 competitors in a match and you see a few in your squad of 10 perform in a particular way, how do you know that everyone else is having the same trouble?

Surely it's risky to change your strategy on such a small sample size? (Although i guess human nature might drive some non-robot behaviour )

Sent by Jedi mind control

Sorry, but we are only as good as we are. If you try to "take it up a notch" you will end up not shooting as well as you can. You may hook up on one stage, but count your blessing. It won't happen again. We don't get faster stronger better during the match. Training is where we improve.

Edited by a matt

I prefer to not be squaded with competition or other good shooters. I don't want to know times or hit or anything about anyone else. This allows me to focus entirely on myself. Call it selfish but I do best when I'm just "me".

I want to do my thing, perfectly, all the time, no matter what. I'd love to be a robot when it comes to shooting matches.

Edited by rowdyb

• 3 years later...
On 10/22/2013 at 11:50 PM, BulletWhisperer said:

Do you do this? At any match level. Do you really shoot the same at every match by concentrating on your own game?

Your competitor's wheels just came off at a stage, at that point do you take it down a notch? Thinking " Ok,now I'm ahead, ill just cruise it , take no risks"

Or your wheels just came off OR your loads didn't make Major. And now you're soooo behind that "what the heck, full throttle !!"

I like to squad with my competitors whenever possible. But sometimes we get assigned. And at big matches we get to see day one results ( do you change your game from here? ) I noticed that I do it. And it works for me than it don't. I remember discussing this with another shooter just recently, but his mentality is different. He prefers to mind his own shooting and not others.

Im slowly learning to play the game to my strengths and weaknesses, or at least try. At club matches I sometimes try to push in certain areas to improve and learn. But when Im in a major I try to shoot my match. I try to identify where I feel I can gain points and hit the gas. There are also stages where its best to shoot conservatively, avoid disaster factors and move onto the next. Most people winning these matches do so by being consistent and not making mistakes. Not by burning down and taking 1st on every stage. 

• 4 weeks later...

I dont care what anyone elses capabilities are. Sure i am competitive. But if i start worrying about others, that can become a distraction. I just shoot my match and i shoot as fast as i can see my sights when i need to. Plus time is super subjective. You may look at a competitor and see him lay down a super fast stage. And now youve put undue pressure on yourself. Normally youd shoot that same stage without worrying about it and lay down a similar time. But now that youve looked at someone elses fast stage (because it looked fast) you try to push yourself beyond your capabilities and make mistakes. 

I see a lot of guys at majors sitting on their phones looking for updates on practiscore to see what their competition is doing. Or how fast they shot certain stages. I think thats too damn much. When i get to the range, my phone goes in my bag and doesnt come out until Ive finished up for the day. I dont care what anyone else is doin. I just shoot my match. No matter what. Even if i tank a stage for some reason.