Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should bigger matches have Themes?

JFlowers

Should bigger matches have "themes"? Some matches you always see themes "2012:A Shooting Odyssey" ,"Back to the Future", etc. Other matches are just a collection of stages. Do you prefer one over the other? Does it matter?

You could applaud the match/stage designers for their cleverness and ingenuity in thematic prop design, but to me it's window dressing. Doesn't matter if it's playing cards, a briefcase or an Olympic torch, it's something to start off with in your strong or weak hand. Doesn't matter if it's supposed to be a back alley, a jungle trail or a hallway in the Kremlin, it's a shooting lane. Window? Bar? Car? Just obstacles to shoot through, around or over.

Would not care one way or the other if the entire match was one theme, but I do enjoy stages having themes. The added cartoons or props that liven a stage up increases the entertainment factor. I have always appreciated quality efforts because it shows they care enough to try.

Would not care one way or the other if the entire match was one theme, but I do enjoy stages having themes. The added cartoons or props that liven a stage up increases the entertainment factor. I have always appreciated quality efforts because it shows they care enough to try.

I agree. We simply don't have time to get very elaborate with our stages at a local match. But once in a while I'll go theme happy with stage names at least. Like this last match, all the stages had Halloween type names. May not mean anything to the shooters but it amuses me to do it.

--- snip --- Just obstacles to shoot through, around or over.

This pretty much sums it up. Visually entertaining but I have to ask would the match be a better match if the effort went elsewhere? (But, I will always remember Bob Wolf's T-Rex!)

I have been to matches where the "Theme" was such a big deal that the actual stages were mediocre. I would rather have neat and tidy presentations with excellent shooting challenges. Sure, there are a few big matches that do both well, but not many. Producing both takes more time, effort and money, and lets face it, we are still a volunteer sport.

I don't mind an RO crew dressing up their stage if that is what makes them happy.

We have done some theme matches at the local level. Last one was weather. Had to shoot lightning bolt shaped hardcover targets, through a cloud, etc. It was fun.

I haven't shot a theme match yet, but I would say that it sounds like it could be fun. The Blackhawk down theme sounds more interesting to me than all the Zombie slayer 20XX stuff. However like everyone else has said, having well put together stages are very top of the list.

I haven't shot a theme match yet, but I would say that it sounds like it could be fun. The Blackhawk down theme sounds more interesting to me than all the Zombie slayer 20XX stuff. However like everyone else has said, having well put together stages are very top of the list.

Well, you should shoot the Indiana State 2014 match. It's a movie themed match "Spaceballs" and I'm sure your "Schwartz" will be enough. Besides, it's like 20 min from Louisville and that's a great city to explore and have fun in.

The match will rival any match you have ever shot, usually it is bigger than most AREA matches.

Come to a themed Indiana match and I'm sure you'll come back.

• 1 month later...

I'm on the same mindset that a theme is nice as long as it's not to the detriment of the stages. Personally, I like a pop-culture reference here and there. This past season, named all of my stages after Archer quotes. It was a fun test to try to get the stage to fit the quote and either people got the reference or it was just another one of those "weird stage names." The design always was the priority though.

post-37958-0-67105900-1387169339_thumb.j

post-37958-0-42446200-1387169380_thumb.j

I agree. We simply don't have time to get very elaborate with our stages at a local match. But once in a while I'll go theme happy with stage names at least. Like this last match, all the stages had Halloween type names. May not mean anything to the shooters but it amuses me to do it.

It seems to me it's more fun for the match director than anyone else.

Years back we used to have scenarios for stages. I suppose it was a bit more like IDPA in that respect only. Then we got away from that and just built stages. If the stage is good it is OK, but if it is a 'Big Match' the theme and stage decoration adds to the photogenic quality and to the fun factor. If we want to get what we do published other than in Front Sight we need to make it look good. A theme can do that. Good stages bring the shooters, good graphics brings the press, both grown the sport.

Years back we used to have scenarios for stages. I suppose it was a bit more like IDPA in that respect only. Then we got away from that and just built stages. If the stage is good it is OK, but if it is a 'Big Match' the theme and stage decoration adds to the photogenic quality and to the fun factor. If we want to get what we do published other than in Front Sight we need to make it look good. A theme can do that. Good stages bring the shooters, good graphics brings the press, both grown the sport.

Seems rather sad that the Front Sight people recognize decorations rather than great stages. Of all people, they should know better.

To me the stage design is most important, It makes no difference to me regarding a theme. I have never signed up for a match because I liked the theme, I signed up to shoot! As has already been mentioned, here in Indiana themes seem to be a thing to do, I remember some of the match themes but never remember any of the stage names. I am MD'ing my first Level II match in 2014 and originally had no intention of having a theme but it was something several of the others helping organize thought we needed to do to follow tradition, so that's what we did.

Simply put, We can build a stage, teh best stage you ever shot using bland walls, not posters, no color. You'll shoot it and enjoy it, but take a picure of it or a video and it will not stand out. We need that dash of color to draw the eye and to draw in people. The color and the themes make a match not better, in teh sense of shooting, but better in the remembering, the telling and the showing.

Also there is a bit of perception on our part as well, would you travel 1000 miles to shoot a bland drab match or would you be more likely to travel the same time and distance spend teh same money to shoot a colorful match? Interesting props are good so long as they work and have a reaosn, a splash of paint on the prop is somewhat like icing on a cake, Ice a stale dry cake and it is still just that, but ice a fantastic moist 7 layer cake an dit does add to it!

In other words a theme will not make a match good that is not, but a theme can make a good match POP!