Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Headshots or shoot between the no shoots?

melissa5

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go for the body. I just shot the classifier "Oh No" 09-03 and it has similar targets. I went body and just shot nice controlled shots, not slow, but made sure the sights were in the A zone for every shot.

Fwiw I saw Jerry M shoot an array similar to this, probably closer though, running .11 splits on target and .13 splits target to target at the '98 North Americans. All the other GM's on the squad went running to check the timer, it was freaking fast!

So shooting the upper box is another way of saying I don't care if I get hits I just don't want to hit a white target?

If you can hit the head you can hit the big A box below it.

Technically you are 100% correct. The problem is that fear factor in the brain enters when you are shooting between the no shoots, yet it does not interrupt your concentration when you are shooting at the head. Now if there were just a way to turn that fear factor off everything would be roses :)

So shooting the upper box is another way of saying I don't care if I get hits I just don't want to hit a white target?

If you can hit the head you can hit the big A box below it.

Technically you are 100% correct. The problem is that fear factor in the brain enters when you are shooting between the no shoots, yet it does not interrupt your concentration when you are shooting at the head. Now if there were just a way to turn that fear factor off everything would be roses :)
keep at it till there is no fear.

Brian told a story about Matt M. once.

Brian said I knew Matt had figured "IT" out by this:

Matt says he's out shooting an El Pres type deal and running it in the X.XX second range,

"then I put no shoots around the targets and started shooting it faster".

• 1 month later...

I've gotten in the habit of treating NS and Hard cover the same as if there's just no target there. I do much better if I just focus on where I want to hit and making sure the sights are there rather than worrying about the pressure of the penalties. Granted the pressure is there, but I'm redirecting my focus onto "doing" something rather than "not doing" something.

I don't know that treating no shoots and hard cover the same is the best strategy for all.

Agreed. It's the mindset that I'm currently at and it helps for me. There's more risk to be considered with the no-shoots, but I just found that with both, my approach should just be focusing on the available target area whether there's black or white around it. After putting it that way I think I'll call this the "Museum of Tolerance" approach. I don't see black or white, I just see A zone.

I will eloborate on what I said earlier that 'slowing down' in not the solution. It's been said by at least one top GM instructor that slowing down usually results in the same crappy hits, just with a slower time. The answer is to select a different technique appropriate for the targets, which in this case might be switching from a normal target focus since the targets are close, to more of a front sight focus because of the no-shoots. This will undoubtly result in a relatively slower time but with better points and is definitely not the same thing as 'slowing down'.

Slowing down is never the right answer since this sport is about shooting alphas as fast as you can ....

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have done a lot of emergency vehicle operations driving courses. One of the things that sticks out in my mind is look to the place you want to go. If you look to the area you want to avoid, you will invariably end up there. Just this simple concept increased my lap times dramatically. I've applied this concept to shooting and have seen an increase in accuracy and a decrease in penalties due to misses or NS.

I would go for the body and ignore the NS. Be patient and the hits will be there just as fast as if the NS didn't exist.

Edited by Rob1125

We shot this stage recently, I am returning after about a 8 month layoff due to illness. On a previous stage to this one, I shanked a tight shot into a barrel twice before hitting the pepper popper. So when I got to this stage I went with all head shots because I was not confident with my accuracy/trigger control.

Head shots were the same presentation for each target.

If I had more practice time for accuracy, I would have gone for the body shots. Normally, I don't notice hard cover or no shoots but without practice I took a very conservative approach based on my performance in a previous stage.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone once asked Jack Nicklaus how to hit a hook and he responded, "think hook". Conversely many golfers when faced with an out-of-bounds-left tee shot think, do not hit a hook. Ninety percent of the time they hit a hook. Your body has an amazing ability to execute whatever you are thinking even when you are thinking "do not do that".

Thinking do not hit the no-shoot will get you a no-shoot. Think what you want to do, not what you want to avoid. Try thinking hit dead center on this mother.

When you are faced with a difficult shot what is your first thought ?

1. Don't miss this shot

Or

2. I always shoot alphas on this type of target.

Most will answer #1 .... Most also never make it past B class either ....

• 3 weeks later...

Good advice from all depending on each shooters ability.

My shooting theory is, if I take the time, no matter what the amount of time is needed for my shooting ability, to aim at the head shot, given this target set up, then why not use that same amount of time and shoot at the "larger" A zone of the body. If you approach it in the positive thinking process, there is only an A zone to shoot at, as was previous mentioned from another shooter. I prefer the larger shooting area then the smaller area.

If a person took the head area of a target and removed it from the rest of the target, then took and just cut the area of the lower A zone of a target, and you placed them both at the same distance from the shooter. And that was the only two targets of a COF, which target would have the most shots at and hits in it at the end of the day? Given that a shooters goal was to hit the exact center (just using an example) of the A zone of the head or the exact center of the body A zone, the shooter has a far more margin of error on the larger A zone to miss the exact center vs. the head margin and achieve the goal.

What surrounds the A zone should not distract you from your goal.

And yes, I have shot a lot of No Shoots with this theory of mine. But, that just shows me that I have to work on shooting more A zones. Hence, why I keep going back to the matches Saturday after Saturday. My destination has not been met yet, I am sill on the journey.

I love this shooting game!!!