Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 CED chronos. huge difference in velocity

anyone have any idea why we have two CED chronos set up same distance same lighting and would get a 100 fps diff in results?

besides one is broke.... I guess I need to find a third to determine which one of these is telling the truth?

I had a issue with my CED chrono also. Mine would read over 150 fps diference between sky screens and infared screens with the same load same guns, only changing screens.

Sent them to CED to be checked...they said they were in spec. When I asked how they checked them I was told with a airsoft pistol. Said they had no other way to check them.

Tom

Run the chrono's in tandem, one in front of the other, so that you are shooting through the 4 screens at the same time.

Your velocity difference could be the reloaded ammo.

Edited by RePete

After talking to one of the big name chrono guys at a major I learned that CED's can be way off from unit to unit. Even running them in tandem he swaps parts on several units until he comes up with the two that are closest in readings and uses them. They are apparently never even close to being the same from unit to unit.

Sad part is, we all get convinced that our cheap chronos are not to be trusted to prep for a major when the major chronos are just as likely to be giving bogus readings.

I have 3 chronos - A PACT Professional, a Shooting Chrono Beta Master and a Shooting Chrony Alpha Master.

I chrono at major matches and have had more issues with the CED's.

see, this upsets me,

after murdering my shooting chrony I bought the ced , figured might as well chrono with the gear the matches use. have nothing but troubles.

wish I bought another shooting chrony and i just might, anybody want to buy a ced m2 even has eatra sensors that I bought. cause I thought that was the problem. now I figure its just super finicky.

How about this scenario...GA Sectional this year. My open gun breaks on stage 1. So I share a gun with my friend. Gun is identical to mine. All ammo is the, same loaded on my press by me for both of us. At chrono, he goes first 174.9 pf

3 shooters later, maybe 8 minutes my turn. 167 pf

Same gun, same ammo, same chrono, 8 minutes apart. 7pf different.

How about this scenario...GA Sectional this year. My open gun breaks on stage 1. So I share a gun with my friend. Gun is identical to mine. All ammo is the, same loaded on my press by me for both of us. At chrono, he goes first 174.9 pf

I've seen this too.

Different temperature and air density can cause this.

I've seen this too.

Different temperature and air density can cause this.

I doubt it was that. Time frame too small. Logically I can only come up with 2 possibilities.

1. Barrel temp caused the difference

2. All chronos suck and it is pot luck

I am leaning more towards #2

. At chrono, he goes 174.9 pf

3 shooters later my turn. 167 pf

Logically I come up with 2 possibilities.

1. Barrel temp caused the difference

2. All chronos suck and it is pot luck

3rd possibility - the first three bullets (174.9 PF) averaged 1410 FPS,

and the 2nd 3 bullets (167 PF) averaged 1347 FPS.

Random luck of drawing 6 different cartridges that varied from 1347 - 1410 pfs.

What velocity had you run at home before the match?

I gave 2 PACT mk III timer/chrono's and a CED M2 a comparative test two years ago. The results were surprising to say the least, the PACT's were all within 10 fps and the CED was within 10 fps of the average of the two PACTs. The same set of tests were run with two Chrony's and the results were a bit inconsistent. I concluded that all of them perform best in diffused sunlight and were most reliable when a fresh alkaline battery was used.

I just add a tenth for matches and subtract one for play. So long as my play loads are 165 or thereabouts no worries.

• 2 weeks later...

We solved which one was correct Saturday afternoon at the 2013 Gator Classic. Mu gun and Ger's chromed right at the reading given by my chrono. Ger's shots were all at 1000 FPS, with 182+ power factor. His chrono was averaging 60-75 fps lower than that.