Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

widen bomar rear sight

Agent #1911

has anyone widen the rear sight on their Bomar-style rear sight? what width did you settle on? I am wanting to have the same sight picture as my other pistol .115' front .150" rear. I just want to see what combination other people are using. Dawson Precision is usually my go to guy for sights but they dont stock the .115" front I am after. the pistol is an STI Trojan.

I had this same dilemma. A pistol that I had built by Springfield Armory has a .115" front and a .155" rear notch. I love that sight picture with my aging eyes and get great hits with it. So, I just took my rear sight to JPL Precision to have him cut the rear notch to .150" and I ordered a .110" from Dawson Precision. It's not going to be exactly the same but the ratio of front to rear sight width should be close enough....I'm hoping. It's not just the width ratio though. I really think that the wider/bigger front sight post is just easier for me to pick up. I'm used to having .100" width front posts on all my guns. Anyway, that's what I'd do. Hope it helps.

Cheers623

DVC

You can do it yourself if you're careful and have the proper files. I have a Bo-Mar sight on my gun and I opened the notch up to .140" to match the Weigand rear blade on my revolver.

I have done it many times. and many times, the result is just not perfect. for something like this, I would rather have a machine do it.

I am using a .90 width front with a .115" rear. Aim small miss small.....

that is what I currently have. the skinny front is harder for me to pick up especially on the move.

yeah it can be for some. I have been shooting it for years like that, If dawson would do .070" I would stock and use them .

Find someone who can use a file.

This is just not that hard for a person who is used to hand work.

Or buy a thin square file with a safe edge and do it yourself.

Give it a few strokes and check.

Repeat until it looks good.

Put some "draft" in the cut so you have a nice clean edge visible to your eye.

Edited by wheelie

Find someone who can use a file.

THis is just not that hard for a person who is used to hand work.

Or buy a thin square file with a safe edge and do it yourself.

Give it a few strokes and check.

Repeat until it looks good.

Put some "draft" in the cut so you have a nice clean edge visible to your eye.

+1