Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carbon fibre barrels?

D__

I've run a couple proof barrels and currently have one for sale. They are definitely cool and very light for what they are. With that said they are also very expensive.

Overall i really like mine...I was able to shoot under 1 moa with a vortex 1-4 pst both hot and cold so that is a huge plus/

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is astonishing to me that they don't post weights of these barrels. I've been waiting a long while for a response email about weights as well.

The only before/after I've found was SHLowlight saving, off a 20" bolt action barrel', half a pound. That doesn't even tell me what the before contour of the barrel, or the after was though.

It is astonishing to me that they don't post weights of these barrels. I've been waiting a long while for a response email about weights as well.

The only before/after I've found was SHLowlight saving, off a 20" bolt action barrel', half a pound. That doesn't even tell me what the before contour of the barrel, or the after was though.

Agreed. I'm generally a huge fan of carbon fiber since it's part of my graduate research. But, not posting weights is a puzzle to me. If they are concerned about unfair comparisons of barrels with different profiles between the materials, they could find some comparable all-metal examples from other makers? Or they could do a careful analysis of an identically profiled all-metal barrel. That's asking a CAD program to calculate the total part volume and then multiply by the stainless steel density. Shouldn't be too time consuming or difficult.

Exactly, Michael. I'm a huge fan of CF, and would like to see it everywhere profitable. So very interesting.

They show the profiles on their site, just like every barrel maker does. Not only that, there are barrel weight calculators that can compare like to like. This is not hard. The data exists with everyone, publicly, except them.

When you are making a new product, let alone one that requires customer education, let alone a product with a very poor history (ABS)... to not give details smacks of lack of confidence.

Edited by Haraise

I also agree that that the weights should be posted, not sure why they aren't but it's not a conspiracy or lack of confidence...and probably not intentional, just an oversight. I spoke with Greg Hamilton from Proof about this and he was surprised as well. If there was some reason for it, chances are he would have known although all it takes is for a company to have more than two employees and nobody knows everything.

I'll mention it to the Marketing guys too, I'm sure they will fix it soon.

Not that it is a big help, but a Proof Research 24" carbon fiber sendero is about 3 lbs.

I also agree that that the weights should be posted, not sure why they aren't but it's not a conspiracy or lack of confidence...and probably not intentional, just an oversight. I spoke with Greg Hamilton from Proof about this and he was surprised as well. If there was some reason for it, chances are he would have known although all it takes is for a company to have more than two employees and nobody knows everything.

I'll mention it to the Marketing guys too, I'm sure they will fix it soon.

Not that it is a big help, but a Proof Research 24" carbon fiber sendero is about 3 lbs.

Thanks. :-)

To be clear, I was never trying to imply anything nefarious or shady at all. I would expect there to be significant savings on weight. And it should be more thermally stable given carbon fiber composite behavior. Seemed surprising to me that the weights aren't there, that's all.

I do hope that weights can get posted up there soon. Perhaps the AR style barrels first since they are already chambered and ready to go with no further machine work? Those weights should not change after a customer buys them. The bolt gun barrel weights would change by a small amount depending on the chambering.

24" sendero at about 3lb? Seems light to me. :cheers: My Criterion hybrid profile 18" barrel is 2 and a quarter!

I had emailed them just to be curious. They told me the16" barrel weighed 1.5 lbs

OK, so that would be their "Medium" profile with the .750 gas block. It appears that shorter and thinner barrels, like this length and profile, don't have as much opportunity to substitute carbon fiber for steel. The 16in Stretch 16 with the flutes is approximately 1lb, 12oz. I wager that the longer and thicker profile barrels see more significant weight savings than this example.

C'mon Jesse, man up. You spend more that that a year in box wine.

I could see the need in precision rifle build or a high end build that I was gonna carry for 20 miles and wanted to reduce the weight. But for 3-gun I've been doing just fine with a $200 Stag 3G barrel. Our accuracy requirements and weight reduction needs just aren't that high. Like I said my main desire for the barrel was cool pics for my Instagram feed. I do way more posting then shooting nowadays because pictures keep the sponsors happier then trophies.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser