Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
currahee1911

STI mag spacer: metal or plastic?

I use metal and glue them in place.

Haven't tried plastic and I don't think I will.

I periodically remove my spacers to give my mags a thorough cleaning and noticed the spacers show marks where the rounds sit.

Edited by yoshidaex

steel! I like how plastic follows on steel. Plastic on plastic tends to create friction(look at how slow a glock mag will falls out), how is the plastic going to hold up with bullets in them? Then drop the magazine with bullets in it.... Stainless will hold up, whereas plastic can get dinged and scratches from bullets/spring that could hender the flow of the follower. Plastics can expand and contract. just my oppinion

steel! I like how plastic follows on steel. Plastic on plastic tends to create friction(look at how slow a glock mag will falls out), how is the plastic going to hold up with bullets in them? Then drop the magazine with bullets in it.... Stainless will hold up, whereas plastic can get dinged and scratches from bullets/spring that could hender the flow of the follower. Plastics can expand and contract. just my oppinion

Agreed

The steel ones I have gotten from CPWSA have been great. Combined with Grams base pads, followers & springs they have been very reliable.

I use the regular STI plastic spaces in my STI mags... not once have I had a malfunction caused by the plastic spacers...

I too liked the plastic spacers and stock sti followers. They worked excellent, stayed in place without gluing, and never had any functionality issues.

No issues with the stock spacer or followers.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4

Maybe because you never shoot yours? LOL JK!!!! I have had a few issues, but nothing major. Always when dropping them on the ground when their empty

I haven't had a problem with the plastic spacers in my mags yet, when I do I'll most likely figure out whats causing it and just fix it. I don't want to glue the metal ones in because I use some mags for 38 and 9.

I use both. Some of mine have plastic and some have metal, never a problem with either one in 9 major.

Yes they rattle when empty. Some don't mind but it bugs me so I silicone mine in. I take them out over the winter, polish everything up and put them back in with a tiny bead of silicone. I use packing material to hold them in place until it cures

Thanks for the tip. The rattle bothered me so I went back to the plastic spacers. Can't say I noticed any real difference in reliability between the two. Perhaps overtime if the plastic ones wear down...?

Maybe because you never shoot yours? LOL JK!!!! I have had a few issues, but nothing major. Always when dropping them on the ground when their empty

Have you even shot your 2011?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk