Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some info on....

Iggy42

So with 2013 coming to a close I am trying to think ahead for my next couple of purchases once I get the last of my 3-guns taken care of. One thing I need is a new CCW pistol so I figured I would ask you all about some information I just can't find.

What I am wondering (and pictures are worth 1000 words on this one) how big of a difference in width a STI VIP, STI Tactical 4.0 (possibly a 3.0 still debating) versus a 3.8 Springfield XD(m), all in .45ACP. I am looking at these since the 1911 platform is by far my favorite, but having the extra capacity of a 2011 would be nice.

They are all fairly large, in the carry scheme of things. I've got a Kahr CM-9 which has run flawlessly and is not bad from a concealment standpoint. While I certainly don't think a 9 is as good as a .45, with some of the newer rounds available, it is much better than it used to be. The Kahr is reasonably accurate @ 25 yards and functions quite well.

Problem I have though is that I am yet to find anything besides a 1911/2011 platform that feels right to shoot. I compete currently with a XDm, but once I get the cash together its gone for an Edge. If its something I am going to trust me life to I need to enjoy/like shooting it so I enjoy range time and go often instead of forcing myself. I keep a 1911 in the truck, but being a full size the barrel is just too long for me to carry comfortably. Nothing wrong with a single stacked 1911, but I figured if I could get some extra capacity then no reason not too. Hence my desire to find some info based on actual guns that I can see, not stats on a website.

I thought I wanted something hi cap like the VIP but when I tried my 2011 limited pistol in my belt, there was no way I would carry it unless I could use a OWB holster. I eventually went with an alloy frame 3" 1911 that holds 8 rounds of 9mm. Every .1" in thickness makes a difference in comfort. YMMV, of course.

first off I was like you and shot an xdm5.25 .40 in limited and got rid of it for an edge and never looked back.Now for ccw carry I bounce between my LB comanche and my DW guardian,both in .45.Have to admit tho that the guardian gets carried 90% of the time due to it being lighter and more comfortable to carry all day long.Hope this helps.

Edited by john1911

Amen to the last post. I've owned and carried an Aluminum framed VIP and I'm a big guy (6'+, 200 lbs) in good shape. I'm not a wimp about carrying a large gun based on weight or size. But, hi-cap 1911 type pistols, while in theory being similar in size to a single stack 1911, are a real burden to carry. You basically have to dress around the concealment rig. You'll have to spend big money on a quality leather or Kydex concealment rig and then dress everyday around that gun and gear. Eventually you'll get tired of it and start leaving it at home. While I am a huge fan of the 1911/2011 platform for home defense and competition, I find that anything more than an aluminum framed 3-4" single stack 1911 is a huge PITA to carry daily. Not saying it can't be done, just saying its a real hassle. Even the 3" officer sized guns can be a pain. I bought a Kahr PM9 and a Glock 26 and ALWAYS have one or the other on me and usually forget they're there. For the few years I did carry the 1911/2011 platform I was painfully aware of it EVERYDAY! I probably spent almost as much money trying out concealment rigs as I did on the various guns. My two cents...for what it's worth.

Cheers623

DVC

Despite the opinions so far I would still like to see some actual side by side images comparing a STI VIP in .45 compared to a standard 1911. I think the grip widths are just about the same, but I am yet to see a pic of calipers measuring the grip widths.

Actual loaded weights would be nice as well, although I am confident a loaded VIP is heavier than a 1911 (aluminum framed) being that the VIP has a higher capacity.

The widths at the widest points are pretty close for standard width panels. You can go with slim grips on the 1911 but you can also reduce the polymer grip to an extent. The biggest difference is the overall shape. The 2011 is more rectangular which isn't as comfortable as the more oval shape of the 1911. Again, YMMV.

So ...One thing I need is a new CCW pistol so I figured I would ask you all about some information I just can't find. How big of a difference in width a STI VIP, STI Tactical 4.0 (possibly a 3.0 still debating) versus a 3.8 Springfield XD(m), all in .45ACP. I am looking at these since the 1911 platform is by far my favorite, but having the extra capacity of a 2011 would be nice.

Just my 2 cents worth, but I believe high capacity in a CCW or off-duty pistol is not very important. How often does a civilian or off-duty Officer get in a shootout that requires more than a few rounds? I believe in carrying a spare mag or two on the other side to balance out the load on your belt (being comfortable means you'll be more likely to have it with you if you ever need it), provide another mag in case the one is your pistol malfunctions (say the feed lips got bent without your noticing or the floorplate pops off at a bad time, because it wasn't seated properly after cleaning the mag or something) and provide some extra ammo. But even a single stack .45 with one or two spare mags is 15-22 rounds and that's plenty of ammo. You don't want to be spraying and praying anyway- innocent people could be hurt.

The average number of rounds fired by an Officer (one his own, not with backup) in LA County shootings was only four rounds, if I remember correctly. Situational awareness, the proper mental attitude if it comes to a gunfight, good tactics (such as taking cover if possible), a comfortable carry setup and practice are much more important in my opinion.

But I don't believe in mag capacity limits in a free country either.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

Problem I have though is that I am yet to find anything besides a 1911/2011 platform that feels right to shoot. I compete currently with a XDm, but once I get the cash together its gone for an Edge. If its something I am going to trust me life to I need to enjoy/like shooting it so I enjoy range time and go often instead of forcing myself. I keep a 1911 in the truck, but being a full size the barrel is just too long for me to carry comfortably. Nothing wrong with a single stacked 1911, but I figured if I could get some extra capacity then no reason not too. Hence my desire to find some info based on actual guns that I can see, not stats on a website.

I Carry a full size glock (G22), I am not concerned about printing or size of gun. Carry the gun you feel confidence in.