Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
zachvu

1-4 Optic w/ Standard Rings?

I've searched high and low, and can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question!

I just purchased a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 and throw lever, but can't decide what to go with as far as mounting it. I have no plans of removing, swapping, or changing my optic regularly, and don't see a need for a QD mount. I have a flat top rail on my SR 556, so eye relief is not an issue either. Is there any reason to go with a one piece mount like the Larue, Warne, Burris, etc rather than conventional style rings in a taller version?

I looked at those, but am trying to figure out if there is any reason to spend ~$200 instead of $50 for a decent set of rings when I have plenty of rail space for he optic.

I like one piece optics mounts because they will always hold the tube squarely. If you have separate rings they can be misaligned and cause damage to your scope. With a one piece mount there is no need to lap rings and they will always stay aligned. You have $500 into a scope, get a mount that won't wreck it. There are many options in less expensive one piece mounts, check Aero Precision, I have one of their one piece mounts at it runs under $100 plus they are supporting 3 gun matches and seem to be very innovative. I also have PRI, LaRue and JP one piece mounts, all good but more expensive.

Doug

It could be argued that a one piece mount would be more robust than a set of rings which are typically found on a hunting rifle. A solid set of tactical type rings will set you back as much or more than the average one piece. There are some solid options in a one piece for well under $200.00. Several under $100.00. On a rifle used in 3gun my preferance is a one piece.

What Doug H. and mpeltier said also with a 4" eye relief and a one piece this allows you to mount it more forward and clear your charging handle.

Good info guys. Thanks!

I'm going to check out aero precision, and might end up with the warne. I like the color options :)