Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scariest Range Experience Ever - Avoid This Place

I've been looking for new outdoor ranges to shoot at in the metro Atlanta, GA, area recently. I went to South River Gun Club but decided I didn't want a $500 membership to go a few times a year. Down the road aways is the Clybel Shooting Range within the Charlie Elliot Wildlife Center, a Georgia WMA, and it's the scariest range I've ever been to.

It was my first time so the RO gave me the range rules briefing, and then he said, "and when you want to check your target, just holler out for a cold line because if you don't some people will just shoot for hours."

That's right, the shooters call for hot and cold lines at a 10-stall, 100-yard rifle range, and one RO floats between two nearby ranges. It was as scary as it sounds. Shooters handled their guns, fiddled with their scopes, oiled actions, cleared chambers and even did practice draws while down range other shooters reset their targets.

When everyone is back behind the firing line, anyone can shout for a hot line and they tear into it.

I'm never going back there again. Too many idiots and not enough supervision.

I think this is pretty common actually. My local range works this way ,and I have never seen a problem. New members go through a very good safety course and take a test. After that, all members are on the lookout for unsafe behavior and are quick to rectify any issues. Full time range officers on a rifle range are not practical in most cases, at least financially. We do not allow any handling of a firearm when the range is cold and someone is down range; penalty- loss of membership.

Except for the handling guns part, I don't see an issue. I'd like to think people are adults and don't need an official nanny. If every one knows the range is cold and not touching their toys, this is fine. You can accomplish this with flags and lights and what not.

funny there is a public range near by with NO staff and it operates like that.

just make sure the guys at the very end each side understand someone is going downrange. being a 300 yard range, we would say what range we were going to so they know where to look for someone before going hot.

if that seems too dangerous then stick to your indoor lanes. simple as that.

My sportsmens club doesn't have ROs. We have a 30 rest 100 yard range and it operates with the shooters calling for a cold range. Guns aren't handled and actions are open when people are down range. We have several different ranges and none of them are staffed.

My sportsmens club doesn't have ROs. We have a 30 rest 100 yard range and it operates with the shooters calling for a cold range. Guns aren't handled and actions are open when people are down range. We have several different ranges and none of them are staffed.

Same here. There are some lunkheads but rules are strict and you can get suspended or lose your membership if you screw around.

Glad it wasn't just me. I would feel pretty comfortable at a range like the one described. I have a pit to myself at our club,j so I can set up targets in various directions and distances and run around and pretty much do whatever I want. Just from lots of competition, I tend to face downrange when handling the gun tho.

What's really scary is going out to shoot in the desert. I go to the trouble of finding a nice hillside to shoot into where I can see exactly where the bullets are going, and then I start hearing ricochets whizzing overhead from the drunk rednecks half a mile away that are just shooting out into flat land with no backstop, and no apparent idea of what roads and shooting spots are just over the horizon.

Like most of the folks here, one of the clubs that I belong to is not staffed, there is a rule against handling firearms when there are people downrange. Our rule is that the first member to arrive is the safety officer, when he/she leaves, whoever was second assumes the SO duties. As far as I know, there have not been any accidents since I have been a member (~10 years). Most of the time when I go, there isn't anyone else there.

Hurley

Half the time at my range there's nobody there. It's not staffed and if I were to call it hot or cold I'd be talking to myself. Not cool to be seen talking to oneself while handling firearms.

If nobody is there, who is going to see you talking to yourself?????? ?!!!??!!!!

Half the time at my range there's nobody there. It's not staffed and if I were to call it hot or cold I'd be talking to myself. Not cool to be seen talking to oneself while handling firearms.

If nobody is there, who is going to see you talking to yourself?????? ?!!!??!!!!

The voices in my head say I shouldn't do that anymore, it makes me look like a lunatic.

It's an FOP range and a lot of SWAT cops go there to train. Stealthy.

I have stopped shooting at one range in my area because of all the things going on behind the firing line at steel matches. The steel firing line was forward of the permanent firing points. It is very disconcerting to hear someone racking a slide behind you when you are getting ready to shoot. Once someone actually had an AD into the concrete floor of the permanent firing line. Needless to say I was very vocal about this and I really do not care if I was welcomed back or not. I think since this, though, the range management has been tightened up but I doubt if I will ever go again anyway.

On another note the scariest thing I have ever seen in a USPSA pistol match was at a range that will remain nameless. The stage involved a full size popper and 2 targets to the left and then a run to a doorway and targets in a hall to the right. The problem is that just behind the popper (rearward falling) was a 10 feet high berm but behind the berm by about 125 yards in a direct line was a cell or phone repeater tower with 2 guys up top working on it! They were actually waving at the shooters and watching the match. I refused to shoot the stage until they came down and ended up zeroing the stage but others went right ahead and shot it. I actually wanted my name off the match roll, but thankfully nothing happened -- luck or chance.

Edited by Paul B

Well, there are almost always people on the other side of a berm, if you go far enough.

As for handling a gun while someone is down range, that's nuts.

Calling your own hot and colds is standard at every club I've belonged to, unless there's a match, etc going on.

A horn/lights are more common on the longer ranges.

The problem is that just behind the popper (rearward falling) was a 10 feet high berm but behind the berm by about 125 yards in a direct line was a cell or phone repeater tower with 2 guys up top working on it! They were actually waving at the shooters and watching the match. I refused to shoot the stage until they came down and ended up zeroing the stage but others went right ahead and shot it.

Let me guess... "But it's already against the rules to shoot over the berm"

Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and sweet baby Jesus. :blink:

When I was in the Army in Korea the range where you qualified was manned by a Korean army private next to each target to score and change them. They did give them a chair to sit in so they didn't have to stand so all was not bad.

At a match down in South America they also had local army people near the targets.

• 4 weeks later...

Thats kind of freaky, i don't know if i could get used to that.

I like the convenience of the local indoor range i go to. Actually, i love it. Usually when i go i have the whole place to myself. I really dig it when i get the range to myself because i can just relax, take my time, work on certain things without distractions. In the meanwhile the outdoor range is being renovated so it will be nice to get outside and shoot. I really just wish i lived out in the middle of no where so i could build my own range.