Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooter friendly energy

DDustin

I was thinking of trying a pre work out but a lot of them send me straight to the bathroom for the rest of the night. The ones that don't, don't seem to work. I'd imagine mid match is the last place I'd want to have that happen. I'll look into Assault though, it does sound familiar.

hydrate

I second this during the weekI I drink a lot of coffee, I have a weekend night job, I find if I drink water all through the night I do alot better through out the match I just wait until I am enroute to the match for first cup of coffee

Just my 2 cents

I find myself being critical of the young guys looking for the fix through energy drinks. The stuff scares me. But, that's my hypocrisy, being that I drink too much coffee and I smoke. Having said that, and of course I don't practice what I preach, I think the best energy comes from good rest, and good nutrition through regular old fashioned meals like breakfast to start the day.

Like Brian said, a nice morning jog will do wonders for you, although I haven't done that since I was in the army over 25 years ago. Until he mentioned it, I had forgotten the energy I got from jogging back then. Even a short jog is enough to get the juices flowing and the brain woke up.

• 2 weeks later...

Get up a couple of hours early and take a nice morning jog. The best "stimulant" I have found.

I second this, a pre-match jog is great at getting the juices flowing. But of course I swing by w/e coffee shop there is around and have a few shots... of espresso. Then you have to hydrate, a lot. First thing to deteriorate when dehydrated is eyesight.

I honestly didn't think about that. I used to hate cold morning jogs in the Army but if I think about it I did always have nice energetic days. I still hate them though but I'll give it a shot.

• 2 months later...

I can't do coffee before a match, nor do I dare use my pure workout supplement, they already make me want to rob a bank. Last match I had a coffee before hand, no where near enough water, and couldn't focus on the sights.

I hadn't thought of trying my aminios, that could help.

Probably best would be a light jog, stretching, a good breakfast with fruit and eggs, followed by lots of water and aminios. Call it the best of both worlds.

I dont think you should change for match day.

i drink a lot of coffee, if i dont have some i get the gitters and a headache

treat match day like any other. dont send your system into shock

Long before match day stabilize your blood sugar by eating smaller meals more often. Every 2 to 3 hours eat a protein bar and drink 8 oz. of water, moderate sugar intake, you should not be hungry or thirsty. Avoid alcohol and caffeine (diuretics) which will dehydrate you but if you smoke and drink coffee regularly then don't change routine on match day. For non stimulant mental focus try Ginkgo Biloba, to increase blood flow to the brain. Ginkgo can also increase bleeding so you might talk to your Dr. if you have issues with that.

Watermelon is great to snack on, too, especially in the summer. I also like the powder form of Pedialyte mixed in with a bottle of water when I start feeling down. The stuff is actually for babies but works great for adults, too, and it's better for you than Gatorade. I take Gatorade to matches, but only sip on it. And of course, there is nothing like an ice cold beer after a really hot match in the summer to get you feeling right again.

In my opinion as a college student (I don't have much to offer as a shooter, I haven't been doing it very long) the Rehab line of Rockstar is great. It is designed specifically for.... well... I think we all know.

My biggest issue is when I am rushing out the door to get to wherever (class, midterm, match, etc) and I don't get any food intake with my coffee. I feel like the caffeine without any food to go with it gives me the jitters, but if I actually eat and have my coffee I am totally fine. So maybe the key to match day is a good breakfast (fruit and eggs like sigboy said), your normal caffeination method, and lots of water.

My company TAC-SCI makes a product called Elite Focus that is specifically designed to help shooters with focus and energy. It's a blend of amino acids, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that helps prevent eyestrain and keeps you sharp, even late on a match day when a lot of people start to hit a wall in the afternoon. It also helps a lot with jet lag and hangovers or general lack of sleep. It doesn't contain any caffeine, so even if you are sensitive to caffeine you don't have to worry about jitters. We currently sponsor Max Michel, Travis Tomasie, Dave Sevigny, Brooke Sevigny, and Jim Gilliland. You can see what they have to say about Elite Focus and learn more about our product here: http://www.tac-sci.com/ My brother Elye and I worked together for almost half a year refining the formula to provide a nice, even mental boost on match days.

Edited by Tengu

• 4 weeks later...

I have always loaded up on coffee and sometimes red bull too before a match. This affected me somewhat when I used to do precision rifle stuff, but as far as action pistol goes I've never really had much of a problem because of it. Usually the adrenaline during a stage gets me somewhat shaky anyway, so I figure it is somewhat inevitable.