Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooter friendly energy

DDustin

What is a good pick me up for before an early match? I'm not a morning person. Typically I would go the coffee route but last match I couldn't hold on target worth crap during the long range shots. Another thing I've used, which is great, is the Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy but I'm out and I'd like to know some other options. What does everyone else use?

Edited by DDustin

I know most people cringe at Monster Products, but my buddy turned me on to the Monster Energy Rehab line. It's non-carbonated, pretty delicious, only a couple calories, sugar-free and readily avaliable at 99% of gas stations.

They pick you up, but you don't feel nearly as "buzzed"

5 hour energy works great and doesn't give me the jitters. The O.N. Amino Energy is good too. I'm on my second jug of it and use it pre-workout. Never thought about using it for a match since it's got caffeine in it.

5 hour energy works great and doesn't give me the jitters. The O.N. Amino Energy is good too. I'm on my second jug of it and use it pre-workout. Never thought about using it for a match since it's got caffeine in it.

Well it's advertised as a throughout the day soda replacement as well as pre-workout. It honestly doesn't do enough for me for pre-workout and it's a bit too expensive for through out the day. But it's still worth it for times when I need a pick me up or when I'm way to tired to work out I can combine it with my pre w/o shake.

I honestly haven't tried 5hr Energy before a match. It's just so gross lol. I'll give that a shot next time. Oranges have worked in the past but it's not good for the whole morning wake up thing that coffee excels at.

hydrate

With?

I'd suggest oral hydration, with a product with a low amount of total solids and a short ingredient list. :mellow:

I drink about a gallon to a gallon and a half of water a day. Once you've gone without enough water it turns into almost an addiction. I always have a 32oz bottle with me and 2 more in the range bag. Plus water doesn't actually give you energy especially in the morning when I need to wake up for a match.

You did make me think of something called Oral IV though that works somewhat well at helping you maintain energy. It's also great for hangovers. It comes in little viles with twist off tops like for nebulizer treatments, if you've ever seen those. It's not an energy supplement per say, but I thought I'd throw that out there because I like it a lot.

I'll try tea. I've never considered that. Does the type of tea matter? I've never heard of the teat you mentioned.

I do finish it all up with beer though. It's my post match tradition. Coincidently, since we're on the topic of energy, I just found coffee beer. It's brewed with espresso beans and has 9% alcohol by volume. Somehow it bounces between horrible tasting and pretty good tasting.

IMG_20131012_143536_324_zps3be69be0.jpg

Edited by DDustin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like red bull.

On non match mornings, I drink coffee. The problem with coffee is that the caffeine content varies from one cup to the next.

With red bull (or one of the other energy drinks) you know how much caffeine you are getting. I know a 12oz red bull is just right for me, a 16oz and I get jittery, an 8oz and I don't feel awake.

Find out what works for you that is repeatable.

i really like this stuff called spark from advocare. the company sucks (giant pyramid scheme) that product is really good! Gives you the perfect boost and no jitters. the strawberry-mango and watermelon are the good flavors.

http://www.advocare.com/products/active/A2094.aspx

+1 for this stuff! I didn't think anyone else out there was using it. I think their formulation 8-10 years ago was a different (better) but I am pleased with the current stuff.

Another one that you may look into is actually a pre-workout. It's made called Assault. It the only thing that I've ever taken that has truly gave me a "boost".