Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noisy Buffer Spring

gunny

I have a very noisy and annoying buffer/spring. It can be heard on every shot and sounds like "thung" I'm using factory ammunition and this gun has only about 2000 rounds through it. It has been noisy since the first shot. Does it need more lube, new spring/buffer or what?

Benny, what do you think of putting some slide glide on that spring? I have done it and it has not caused me any trouble and the sound effect is gone. I don't run 10k a year of 223 like some of you though, so I don't know if problems develop later. I clean it out each winter and reapply. Nate

I have been greasing up the recoil spring, damper and tube with a light lithium grease in my JP with the LMOS, and regular slide glide in the rest of my AR's with heavy steel bolt carriers and standard springs and dampers. Nothing takes away the "sproing" but this will make it gentler.

As long as you don't put enough in there to get hydraulic I see no problems. I just lightly coat everything with grease and don't put big glops of grease in there. I have been doing this for a long time now and have no ills. I only lube the bolt carriers with lighter oil type lubes and I also make sure that the amount of grease I use isn't enough to pump itself into the bolt carrier on full compression.

You can run it dry and it won't hurt anything, but I think the sound of a greased recoil spring & tube is a bit less harsh.

--

Regards,

When I am plinking, I might think about the sound an AR makes, but once I get a start signal on a match stage the only thing I notice is the trigger reset click, or the lack of sound if I get a lockback!

I haven't shot an AR with one of the ACE stocks with the foam rubber sleeve, I would think they are a little less spring noisy.

BTW, my JP CTR-02 ia a very quiet AR, as long as you are directly behind it's tank brake ;-)

--

Regards,

I usually use an aerosol spray lithium grease. Just take the spring outside and hose it down, and reassemble. No globs or any other mess. Just puts a coat around most of the spring. This really seems to cut down on the "sproing".

I hate the BOINNGGG. Per Derrick Martin, I used to goop up my recoil spring with military rifle grease which made it go away. Now with an ACE stock, I use a bit of slide glide and it goes away. I'll have to try some of those silicon springs.

The Tubb springs do kill the sproing, but they are heavier than a standard spring. don't just drop one in right before a match. Your gun may not run 100%. May be better, may be worse, but it will be different.

I couldn't stand that "ching" sound in my AR-15 so I got a pnuematic buffer system from Olympic Arms. You take out your spring and buffer out of your lower and replace it with this. You can adjust it and I really like it. My gun shoots smoother and I do not have to get annoyed by that horrible sound. They are a little pricey at about $100-$125 for each one but I think they are worth it.

Bob

I couldn't stand that "ching" sound in my AR-15 so I got a pnuematic buffer system from Olympic Arms. You take out your spring and buffer out of your lower and replace it with this. You can adjust it and I really like it. My gun shoots smoother and I do not have to get annoyed by that horrible sound. They are a little pricey at about $100-$125 for each one but I think they are worth it.

Bob

Anyone else tried one of these?

Mike

Maybe I'm nuts, but I like the spring noise....it let's me know the gun is working, when you don't hear it, it's time to reload or clear a malfunction.

As someone else stated, once I start shooting I don't notice the noise. What I notice is the absence of the noise when the rifle is empty and locks back on the last shot.