Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

prochrono missing shots?

I have no experience shooting under cover since I want to be 10-15 ft away from the muzzle for accurate readings anyways. Offhand I would say that what your seeing is normal. Just guessing but I'd think that under cover would give similar results as shooting indoors and would require a light box for accurate results. Under cover is totally different than cloud cover from the perspective of light exposure.

not sure what you mean by 'under cover.' the chrono is under the sky, but under the shadow of a roof covering our shooting booths. in the winter, the shadow thrown is very long, as the sun is probably always pretty south of the line of our shooting booths (which probably face east-westish). at this point, i'm going to shoot at 10 am, in the only shooting booth that is uncovered. by 11 or so, a shadow from the roofed booths next to it puts it into shadow............ so, to make a long story short, the only time i can shoot in the winter at my range is 10 am to around 11 (at least using the chrono) and only in one booth (of around 50.) sorry it's so complicated.

This wouldn't be an issue with the Pro Chrono, but the nature of ANY chrono using sensors and light. If you can't see your own shadow on the Chrono sensors, the chrono won't be seeing the bullet.

Some general reading for you: http://www.frfrogspad.com/chrono.htm

If your shooting arrangements are such that the chrono will nearly always be in shadow, don't blame the chrono, but pick up a light kit.

I have no experience shooting under cover since I want to be 10-15 ft away from the muzzle for accurate readings anyways. Offhand I would say that what your seeing is normal. Just guessing but I'd think that under cover would give similar results as shooting indoors and would require a light box for accurate results. Under cover is totally different than cloud cover from the perspective of light exposure.

not sure what you mean by 'under cover.' the chrono is under the sky, but under the shadow of a roof covering our shooting booths. in the winter, the shadow thrown is very long, as the sun is probably always pretty south of the line of our shooting booths (which probably face east-westish). at this point, i'm going to shoot at 10 am, in the only shooting booth that is uncovered. by 11 or so, a shadow from the roofed booths next to it puts it into shadow............ so, to make a long story short, the only time i can shoot in the winter at my range is 10 am to around 11 (at least using the chrono) and only in one booth (of around 50.) sorry it's so complicated.

This wouldn't be an issue with the Pro Chrono, but the nature of ANY chrono using sensors and light. If you can't see your own shadow on the Chrono sensors, the chrono won't be seeing the bullet.

Some general reading for you: http://www.frfrogspad.com/chrono.htm

If your shooting arrangements are such that the chrono will nearly always be in shadow, don't blame the chrono, but pick up a light kit.

thanks --- this is my first chrono and was simply surprised that daylight, altho in shadow, would be inadequate. i thought indoor lighting would be clearly problematic.... i guess i should be thankful that the chrono IS quite accurate, although missing some shots is to be expected under shadowy or slightly darker daytime conditions. esp. in winter.