Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Better sights or mag extensions?

Cliveb

What it says on the label:-)

I'm "tarting up" my G35 which I run (pretty successfully) in IPSC standard division.

No massive changes - tweaked trigger, full length stainless guide rod, Dawson magwell. Up till now it fits in the IPSC box (minus the magwell), but barely with Arredondo magazine extensions.

I'd like to install Warren F.O sights but they're a mm or two taller than the factory sights.

What say ye good people of the forum? Should I retain the factory sights and drop the magwell to retain the mag extensions or should I stick with factory mags and invest in FO sights plus keep the magwell on the gun?

One part of me says to go for the sights and mag well - which together will give me a better all round gain than an extra 3 rounds...but those 3 rounds sure could come in handy :unsure:

I'd really like your opinions.

Cheers

Clive

Thanks Daniel.

What kind of base pads will fit in the IPSC box?

At most I was considering glueing on another 3mm layer to thicken them slightly to help me whack them in past the mag well.

Clive

Hmm, looks like most people agree that sights matter more than mag capacity (think so myself, but confirmation is nice..)

Off to kip, past midnight here. Will be happy to read more opinions tomorrow.

Clive

No brainer, get rid of those bobo plastics and invest in some Dawson adjustables with a fiber optic front. Hands down the best sights i'v ever used.

+1

Especially in ipsc were you have a lot of short courses of fire, were points are at a real premium. you have to have sights that are going to hit were you want them to, and be able to adjust them. Kentucky windage is a no go for me with a pistol. magwell you can get away without one, look at all the production shooters out there that are doing fast loads without a magwell.

Besides, in IPSC now the medium cofs are 24 rnds max and almost all Ive shot were made 20+ rnds so the 18 rnds you get from arredondo ext will still require a reload unlike in the old rule where medium cofs were 16 rnds max and so 18 rnd mags were highly advantageous and desirable. Now you can get away w/ 15 rnd oem glock mags w/o penalty except in long cofs w/ 32 rnd max where you need 3-15 vs 2-18 rnders but not all the time.

• 1 month later...

I cannot stand the glock stock fixed sights and I dislike the glock adjustables even more.

if I was allowed to only change one thing on a glock it would easily be the sights. for the longslide models I would also change the extended slide stop because my hands always hit it.

for the price of 3 arredondo basepads you can get a sight set and like 2-3 glock mags. I'd get the sights 100% of the time all the time

I dealt w this dilemma just last week, but mine was more financially related. Just bought a magwell for my new 3gun/Steel G34 & its at the Johnny Glocks right now getting a stippling job, trigger job & removing the finger grooves. The slide is at the engraver getting a custom laser job, so $$ was getting short. Did I want/need mag extensions or sights first ?? Like everyone else, I decided sights were to important to delay over a few extra rounds.... so I ordered my TTI's which should be here today (hopefully).... TTI mag ext's will be later this week or next....

For the record I have a set of Dawson black on black for my other G34 SSP/Production gun which Ilike & have had some success with...

• 1 month later...

So, is it the opinion that a G35 fitted with TTI ultimate sights and the TTI +3 base pads will fit in the IPSC standard box? The reason I ask is that I have the Arrendondo +3 bases and no way will the pistol go in the box using the TTI ultimate Glock sights. I presume the TTI basepads are shallower profile? I find that I can get the pistol in the box with the hiziv sights which are pretty low profile.