Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another thing I liked about the old Fort Benning registration was that it could take one OR two names and if you entered two, you were both in or out.

For people/spouses travelling together this made a lot of sense.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter which way is done there will always be problems. The lottery may be a good solution. It would allow people a window of time to enter. It is still random chance which some people do not like.

The South Dakota GFP did a similar system for big game tags, except the last time I applied you had to mail it in. They allowed multiple people on one application so that it was an all or none affair. Another thing that I really liked was the preference points system. If you applied last year and did not get a tag you got a point applied to this years application. Those applications with the most points would get put into the first lottery. If there were left overs then those without points would get drawn next. Points would build until your application was drawn. You had to reapply every year and if you didn't then you lost your points.

This favors those that have not gotten a chance to shoot the match, which may or not be the goal of the MD. It also could lead to matches that people would have to wait several years before they built enough points before they could enter. If the MD wants the top guys then he could award points for the top finishes so they would have a leg up for the next year's entry.

I don't know if any of this is a workable solution, just thinking out loud. Either way I am looking forward to shooting this match for the first time.

RUSSO, I have been following this thread as I see online registration like this to be the future. After reading through the comments about the new process, this is my view.

Couldn't the registration be setup similar to special draw tags for hunting? You could rectify some of the complaints:

1. Families or traveling partners could put in together (ofcourse I would limit the "party" to 3?)

2. It would give people the opportunity to turn in their apps in a manor that is flexible and not internet speed/reliable dependant.

3. You might even consider awarding a points system to people that did not get in (ie.earn an extra name in the hat until you get in)

Thoughts?

Also as a shooter attending a major I would really like to know how many people actually are paid/working/sponsered. Is there a reason that this info is not given?

Thanks to everyone for all the input. We had sort of a "lessons learned" staff meeting today regarding how the registration process went. All of this feedback is very valuable and will be part of the decision making process with how we handle future years registration. All great ideas to try to improve and of course the possibility could remain to return to the old ways with some data collection enhancements.

The reason that we have not posted numbers is that they are changing constantly. We are trying to get in as many shooters as possible. We are also working on allowing some shooters to shoot the match with the RO's. I would say that in about three-four weeks we should have the numbers fixed after we verify payment from registered shooters and move more people in off of the wait list. After then we will send out a list of shooters to everyone coming to the match so that people can adjust their squadding preferences on-line using Match Director now that they know who is actually attending. So save those confirmations with the passwords. We are just not going to publish any information that is going to change. Right now if I publish that we are taking 1000 shooters and I can only take 999 ( We wish) someone will figure out that they were the number 1000th shooter and it will start a whole new thread about how poorly our management skills are. We are doing what we think is best for the match. You will have all the statistics regarding the match as soon as they are reasonably final. I hope you can understand.

A couple of points:

1. I live about 5 minutes from the Rio range and I can only get satellite internet. Yes it sucks. Local has nothing to do with it.

2. We need more cool matches ran by competent MDs at great ranges like Rio Salado.

3. No matter how the match registration is done, there's going to be a whole bunch of people shut out of the deal.

4. It's not just about Rio, the demand for matches exceeds the supply. Get your club to host a match!

Sounds like there is a great deal of demand for new matches. All that is needed is for an enterprising individual to put one or more on and fill that demand. I still think that the entry fee should be jacked up to cover the cost of having an exceptional "Talented" taping and resting crew do all the work while the shooters prepared to do what they came for.

Matches being run as club fund raising events with volunteer labor only motivates people so far.

Matches will have to be run as for profit ventures to fill the demand and actually pay the staff. The only way I see this happening is on privately owned ranges and run the match as one would run a business. Leave the stages set up and run the same match for 4 weekends in a row. Maybe they need to be more like a theme park where people can show up and shoot the stages whenever within a certain time window.

This goes to show how popular this match is. I went through this in the past with the DPMS Tri-gun, it was so popular that you had to attend 3 years in a row to get a chance at an early entry, then what ever slots were remaining, opened a couple weeks later. I was lucky enough to get in the required amount of years to receive an auto invited, then it went away! Major disappointment!

Now with this new system for SMM3G, I had my app sent in within 20 seconds (I had to type all my info in at the change over time), and I made it to the wait list. I was lucky enough to have a lower number and was awarded a slot around midnight. This isn't much different from last year, except I was on the waitlist for weeks before I got a slot. Unfortunately, my shooting partner for the last 10 years didn't get a low enough number to get off the wait list (yet), so I will be making a 1600 mile trip to Az and 1600 miles back by myself. If this stays the way it is, then I would like to see an option of allowing 3 peeps per application.

As with everything, change is inevitable. Some for the good, on-line squading, some for the not so good, electronic registration. But improvements will be made and we will all adjust. I commend the SSM3g Staff for trying something new and taking all the fall-out. With usable suggestions from the shooting community, maybe a fix can be found that will please most of us.

.02 worth

Doug

Edited by Doug S

I was so pissed... but now after seeing that people a lot better than me didn't get in, I'm less pissed.

aside from needing more big matches, the existing big matches need to think of strategies to accommodate us in future seasons. I can't get into anything except nationals and its really starting to kill my interest in this sport. if the big matches can't expand with the popularity of the sport, its not going to be a good thing for the sport as a whole.

at the least they should either double the match so tac ops and limited shoot 3 days and everyone else shoots 3 days, like handgun nationals. or they should restrict entry by classification. start with M and GM and work your way down.

being a shamelessly sandbagging B class shooter, that's not ideal for me, but at least it makes more sense than a bunch of people who suck shooting the match because they logged on 30 seconds before a M or GM, who could have won the whole match. kind of makes whoever does win it look like they only won because other people didn't get in.

Edited by bobby hated

I was so pissed... but now after seeing that people a lot better than me didn't get in, I'm less pissed.

aside from needing more big matches, the existing big matches need to think of strategies to accommodate us in future seasons. I can't get into anything except nationals and its really starting to kill my interest in this sport. if the big matches can't expand with the popularity of the sport, its not going to be a good thing for the sport as a whole.

at the least they should either double the match so tac ops and limited shoot 3 days and everyone else shoots 3 days, like handgun nationals. or they should restrict entry by classification. start with M and GM and work your way down.

being a shamelessly sandbagging B class shooter, that's not ideal for me, but at least it makes more sense than a bunch of people who suck shooting the match because they logged on 30 seconds before a M or GM, who could have won the whole match. kind of makes whoever does win it look like they only won because other people didn't get in.

There are no classes in 3 Gun...

I love the fact that this sports allows anybody who is safe to participate and have fun. What other sport will allow you to shoot on the same course, and in some cases, either be RO or squad with some of the superstars of the sport. I can't imagine Tiger Woods allowing anybody close. But I had dinner at the same table as Daniel Horner.

I was so pissed... but now after seeing that people a lot better than me didn't get in, I'm less pissed. aside from needing more big matches, the existing big matches need to think of strategies to accommodate us in future seasons. I can't get into anything except nationals and its really starting to kill my interest in this sport. if the big matches can't expand with the popularity of the sport, its not going to be a good thing for the sport as a whole. at the least they should either double the match so tac ops and limited shoot 3 days and everyone else shoots 3 days, like handgun nationals. or they should restrict entry by classification. start with M and GM and work your way down. being a shamelessly sandbagging B class shooter, that's not ideal for me, but at least it makes more sense than a bunch of people who suck shooting the match because they logged on 30 seconds before a M or GM, who could have won the whole match. kind of makes whoever does win it look like they only won because other people didn't get in.
I love the fact that this sports allows anybody who is safe to participate and have fun. What other sport will allow you to shoot on the same course, and in some cases, either be RO or squad with some of the superstars of the sport. I can't imagine Tiger Woods allowing anybody close. But I had dinner at the same table as Daniel Horner.

That's precisely the way I used to describe this sport to my non-shooting friends. I have had the good fortune to be squaded with some of the top guys. I'll never be a great 3gunner (I'm 65) but I love the game. The new popularity of the sport and the limited space in major matches changes the whole dynamic. I was able to plan on at least 4-5 majors each year. Now I can't get in to SMM3G, RM3G has never been a sure thing, IronMan fills up fast. I'm gonna stop talking about it.

Dan and Sara have been working on processing the incoming checks since last week Wednesday. We are preparing to send out emails to those that we have received the checks from as well as reminders to those that we have not received them from. Please be patient. We are doing our best to get this done in an expedited fashion but remember we all have regular day jobs also.

Payment confirmations and reminders went out via email yesterday. All paid shooters should have receive some sort of communication yesterday night. Those on the wait-list, please stand-by. Sunday is the cutoff day for payment. The next set of updates will go out on Sunday Nov 3rd.

ANNOUNCEMENT: SMM3G has partnered with Freedom Munitions to offer their Match Ammunition Support Service (MASS).

In addition to being the Official Match Ammunition Sponsor for SMM3G 2014, the MASS program will allow all registered competitors the opportunity to puchase a specified quantity of 5.56mm rifle and 9mm pistol ammunition. Ammunition will be available for pickup at the Match, upon Registration.

Full details including final discounted pricing, will be available in early December, including the link to the special Freedom Munitions website for ordering. Again, this offer is ONLY for registered competitors of SMM3G. Orders from anyone else will not be accepted.

RUSSO will communicate the details to all competitors via the email they used to register for the Match.

Special thanks to all the fine people at Freedom Munitions for making this happen!

Mick

SMM3G Sponsor Coordinator

ANNOUNCEMENT: SMM3G has partnered with Freedom Munitions to offer their Match Ammunition Support Service (MASS).

In addition to being the Official Match Ammunition Sponsor for SMM3G 2014, the MASS program will allow all registered competitors the opportunity to puchase a specified quantity of 5.56mm rifle and 9mm pistol ammunition. Ammunition will be available for pickup at the Match, upon Registration.

Full details including final discounted pricing, will be available in early December, including the link to the special Freedom Munitions website for ordering. Again, this offer is ONLY for registered competitors of SMM3G. Orders from anyone else will not be accepted.

RUSSO will communicate the details to all competitors via the email they used to register for the Match.

Special thanks to all the fine people at Freedom Munitions for making this happen!

Mick

SMM3G Sponsor Coordinator

Freedom Munitions are some good people, Shot with Rudy last year......Looking forward to the match....