Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Okay. I gotta say it! Didn't love the half day format! :angry2:

Was okay with it Saturday, when we got to leave a bit early after chatting, but Friday was awful.

We were afternoon squad. Except for the first stage, we waited at least 45 minutes for each stage, and we started our 5th stage after dusk. I was first shooter, and it was so dark even then, that I couldn't see the front post against the black targets on my pistol.

Our last shooter, the RO's couldn't see the targets either. Not so cool! We didn't get to leave until almost 7:30.

I like the every other one, but for me, 3-Gun is pretty social! I know....who'd a thunk?? :roflol: I like watching others. I like having time to go to the bathroom and not feel like I'm going to be late to a stage. If I have a bad stage, I like to have some time to shake it off. I know, that happens to me waaayy too much!

I admit, I was happy to go home early on Saturday, but it seemed especially unbalanced because the second day they didn't have to stay so late because of the dinner!!

Just my .02...which isn't even worth that much!

Had a fun match anyway, and I repeat my thanks for all the hard work and time!

:wub: Denise

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The JP Shooting Team did well at this match. 11 team members attended with 9 members pulling down top 10 or better finishes. Congratulations to:

Tony Holmes for 1st place finish in Open division! ( I watched Tony shoot stage 8 and was amazed at his raw speed)

Kelly Neal for 1st place finish in Heavy Limited! (I shot on Kelly's squad and he is a truly world class competitor)

Eric Miller for 2nd place Tac Optics

Mike Payne for 2nd place Heavy Limited

Keith Garcia for 4th place Tac Optics

Kurt Miller for 5th place Limited

Travis Gibson for 7th place Open

JJ Johnson for 8th place Heavy Limited

Don Bednorz for 8th place Open

Edited by co-exprs

Great match guy's!

I liked the half day format, more time for sporting clays....

Great stage layout, Great RO's One of the best ones yet. Really appreciated the great target definition since this was my first time in limited class.

Carl

Oh, and regarding the abondonment rule, (which was CLEARLY posted in the barrel and on a clipboard) why is it so friggin' hard to put the safety on every time you abandon a long gun?? Even if I run my shotgun dry before dumping it, I put the safety on. It's a habit and a good one. Put the safety on and don't risk wasting your match fees, hotel and food costs, travel expenses and time off work. Jeez! Put the safety on!

Because an empty gun is safer than a loaded gun with the safety engaged and an empty gun with the safety engaged is just a wasted movement...

I liked the 1/2 day format. The only question I have is 'Could the Sponsor Appreciation awards have been done Saturday night at the banquet throughout the dinner?'.......instead of added a considerable amount of time to the shooter awards/prizes ceremony. Sunday really turned into a very long day for some folks.

I'm sorry to read about all the DQ's and frustrated shooters. Brings back painful memories for me as my last SMM3G involved me being sent home early for a gun abandonment issue that the RM couldn't explain but dq'd me anyway. Hopefully match directors and shooters alike will learn from this and avoid similar issues in the future. Shooting season 2014 is finally here!

Great match!

Love the 1/2 day format! Please keep it!!!

Obey rules and no DQ.

Shot some stages pretty well.

Shot some not so much so.

Won the Limited Match by less than a percent!

Both James Casanova and Carl Carbon could have won with any change in any stage's outcome.

It was a blast!

Thanks to one and all!

Thank you for the great suggestion. We will discuss with the match Committee.

Mick

I liked the 1/2 day format. The only question I have is 'Could the Sponsor Appreciation awards have been done Saturday night at the banquet throughout the dinner?'.......instead of added a considerable amount of time to the shooter awards/prizes ceremony. Sunday really turned into a very long day for some folks.

Great match again this year!

Thank You to all the ROs for time and all your hard work in making this a fun match!

Good things:

-I really enjoyed shooting stage 4, a fun setup that had 5 moving targets that were activated by a bowling ball :roflol:.

--This was a good thing, so was not having to shoot the timed pop up targets this year.

-Another good thing, THE PRIZE TABLE! WOW, what a spread.

-The banquet.

-Seeing old friends is always a GOOD thing!

But along with the good there was also some not so good.

-Registration process. Need to have an option of adding multiple names to one entry, it would help keep teams together.

-Awards and prize table. If the Awards start time is 1430 then start at 1430 not 1600!

--Maybe the sponsor awards should go on during the protest period to save time.

--Bag and seal all the prizes before the prize walk. All the big prizes (guns, reloaders, ammo, etc) would not need bagging since they are to big to bag, and they are gone with the first shooters. The trays are usually left for the rest of us, so close the bags and make it a grab bag type of selection. If you pick one up off the table, it's yours. This would stop the back and forth selection process and save a tremendous amount of time. It still gives sponsors exposer when it is opened out in the crowd since we show each other what we won while we are waiting for the process to get over with.

Overall a great match again. Thanks to all the SMM3G ROs, staff and Dan. Hope to be there again next year.

Doug

Edited by Doug S

Make sure you fill out the match survey that was sent out I’m sure it will help the match staff for next year.

I loved the ½ day shooting, Denise was right about the Friday night last stage, it was getting close to dark and we started all the stages almost on time.

I think a good add would be to let some of the shooters that have shot in previous years shoot with the RO’s if they don’t make it into the main match days. Since they have shot before and know the rules I don’t think it wouldn't hold up the RO days. This would let a few more people into the match….

• 3 months later...

Last year registration was on October 20th and im pretty sure it filled up in less than 1 minute (online registration), then you got put on the wait list. I know guys that were on the wait list ended up getting in, but I don't know if they all did. I think the wait list was closed after about 5 minutes. Can't remember when they announce it tho

Eta it looks like they announced it here on October 7th

Edited by JWil

They actually emptied the wait list (well sort of) and I was either the last guy or next to last. I got in about 10 days before the match. While the wait list was initially hundreds long, many people voluntarily dropped off the list. Those of us who were patient got in and I started out #269 on the wait list. Glad I got in too... one of the best matches I've ever shot.

Edited by co-exprs