Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide color vs sights visibility?

rmantoo

I'm 46, and shoot a HK USP 45 in USPSA and Steel.

I'm about to send this gun to Greyguns for a competition trigger/reset/functionality package.

My current trijicon sights are old. The night sights don't work, and even in the daytime, the white is almost grey.... so... I need new sights... and

The slide needs refinishing. I really like the Nickel Boron and PTFE types of finishes, but I"m concerned about making the slide a lighter color than it's stock black, and having the slide washout when there are light colored targets in the back ground, and then distinguishing between the sights- which are already blurry/hard to see and the slide.

Does one slide color as a background work better than others? I feel like the black sights on the black slide right now is hard to see... but I'm also concerned about a lighter color slide washing out when targets are behind it...???

Ideas, inputs?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Sorry to say what works for me may not be the best for you. That being said, when hard chrome first came into vogue, a looooong, time ago shooters were having both the frame and slide hc. Then someone decided this wasn't the best way to go so they talked the finisher into finding a way to keep the top of the slide blue/black. We were using black on black sights back then...no fiber optic or 3 dot or whatever and that was the way to go. Now fo and 3 dot are the norm. I am 60+ and find the green fo front and black/blue rear works best (such as it is) for me. I would try to check out some of the combos of shooters at your local club/s and then decide. Also, some of the factory pistols have the above mentioned combos. Revos have them also just so you can check out the sight picture.

Good luck and hope this helps,

Richard

PS: I forgot to mention front sight width and rear notch width will figure into the mix if color wasn't enough....LOL

Edited by chirpy

Hi Robert,

From my limited experience it would seem that a non reflective color on the slide would be best suited for you if you are concerned about "washout". To me, it seems FO sights appear brighter when on mounted on a flat black slide. This could be attributed to the sight mounts being flat black and not contrasting with the shiny slide.

Checkout the Dawson Precision sights for your HK. https://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHT+SETS:HK+Sight+Sets

I use them exclusively on my Glack and I love them. As Richard mentioned, the blade of the front sight and width of the rear will be a factor in how you perceive the washout. Best thing to do is check out other peoples setups and see what you like.

I've spent quite a bit of time behind the slides of others guns, and I keep going back to preferring black slide with fiber optic sights overall.

I was just looking for some non-local opinions to make sure I didn't have either mental myopia or had somehow missed a subject that many/most national level shooters might go, "Well, duh! That's so basic..." etc.

I have likewise come to the conclusion that a front sight that fills the rear notch, but with a fiber optic insert in front, is the best style for my aging eyes.

Thanks, guys.